24. anyone else but you

—-

—-

Xia ended her night where all girls who make bad decisions end up: the 24 hour pharmacy.

She walked out of the building with two items, a morning after pill and a Diet Pepsi.

Shoving the leftover cash that she'd gotten from the ATM into her pocket, she sat on the curb and attempted to open the thick plastic packaging that encased the vital capsule.

Although she wasn't always the smartest girl on the planet, Xia did have her clever moments.

Explaining away a random money withdrawal at 4am was much easier than explaining away the purchase of an emergency contraceptive.

Her parents would definitely tighten the reins on her if they found out.

Something about it not being good for the 'family image'.

The night air was chilling, leaving Xia to shiver in her place.

The girl was glad she'd listened to Jisung and took the sweatshirt. It wasn't the warmest but it kept some of the chill off of her.

Everything was vacant and dark. No other human to be seen for what she could see, or hear for that matter. The atmosphere was dead silent.

It was like sitting in the vacuum of space.

Alone and daunting.

Despite that, Xia stayed in that spot, feeling as if she deserved the discomfort.

She struggled with the packaging, finally dropping it out of frustration. Her hands ran over her face, indubitably smearing whatever makeup was left.

She knew she looked a mess.

The only thing standing between her and not having to dedicate the next 18 years of her life to PTO meetings and parent-teacher conferences was in this small plastic case, and she couldn't even open it.

What she needed was something sharp.

But the idea of going back inside to ask the clerk for a pair of scissors or a knife made her want to rip all her hair out.

It was embarrassing enough to do the walk-of-shame once, a second time might actually kill her.

Instead she pulled out her keys and began digging into the plastic.