28. nothing happened (pt.1)

—-

The elevator was rather small but just stepping away from that stuffy office air was enough to relax her.

She stopped thinking about the different memories that had swarmed her mind and tried to focus on the present.

It felt like she might be in the clear.

No more surprises.

"I didn't know that the Boy Scouts were such a popular thing with... your... people," Renjun struggled to find the right words as to not offend the girl.

She smiled at his attempt at being polite. She knew he felt a little on-edge with her. What else was to be expected when her soon-to-be father-in-law wasn't just his boss but the owner of the whole company?

"My people?" Xia questioned lightly with a chuckle. "You mean the spoiled rich kids?"

"I didn't say spoiled," he clarified, not wanting that word to be put in his mouth.

"But you were thinking it."

"No—"

"Renjun, it's okay. I understand." She glanced over at the changing numbers on the wall as the elevator went down.

"We weren't talking about the actual Boy Scouts. It was this summer business club that the boys went to for a couple years in high school." The girl continued when she noticed his confusion.

"They'd take a couple college business courses and travel around the world visiting different companies for a few weeks. Oftentimes they would intern at these companies and earn some money. That's why we were talking about 'boy scout funds'."

"Oh," Renjun nodded his head, now getting the concept. "How much is 'some money'?"

The elevator doors opened and she took a step out after he gestured for her to go first.

"I don't know. A couple thousand. Maybe a few. I never bothered to ask."

"Wah, as expected," he said teasingly, following her out. "I bet the girls had their own fun with all the boys gone, right?"

Her eyes narrowed as she tried to interpret what he meant.

From a sleazier man she'd find it disgusting, but from Renjun it sounded the slightest bit scandalous, something she could kind of appreciate.

"Not quite. Us girls had to go to etiquette school." Her eyes rolled just at the thought.

"That's... not fun," he replied bluntly.

"No, it wasn't," she agreed. "Learning the proper way to serve tea wasn't exactly number one on any teenage girl's summer to-do list."

"I can imagine," he paused for a moment before asking another question. "So they really kept the boys and the girls separate? I find it hard to believe they could keep it that way."

Xia couldn't help the small smirk that started to appear on her lips.

"We had our ways."

"I knew it!"

"There was a lake house that on some nights we'd sneak off to and meet up with the others. Nothing happened, it was all... PG."

Renjun nodded knowingly at her 'serious' expression. "Ah, of course, and did 'nothing happen' with Mr. Zhong?"

It was a bold question. If any of the older generation had been there a head would have been rolling, that's for certain.

She should be upset as well, after all, it wasn't very professional of Renjun to ask such a thing, but her mind got distracted with something else.

Another one of those pesky memories that didn't seem to go away, no matter how hard she tried.

• • •

cont.