25. fiancé

—-

THREE MONTHS LATER

Xia stepped out of the car with the assistance of Mr. Choi — one of the Zhong family's personal drivers — holding the door open for her, and Chenle outstretching his hand for her to grab.

She gladly accepted the gesture and gave him a sweet smile, as well as a brief 'thank you' to the older man.

Her heart fluttered at the natural way he held her hand in his, an easiness to his presence that brought her comfort and joy.

The action wasn't something new but it had been a while since he last treated her like this; like she was the one.

He slipped his hand out from hers and tossed his arm over her shoulder, pulling her close as they walked towards the building.

Now that was a very familiar action.

"Are you sure you're not nervous? It isn't too late. I'd be more than happy for you to stay home and shop online, go day drinking with your friends, join a committee, or whatever it is wives do."

"Have babies, I think is the norm around here, but—"

"Yeah, well, I mean..."

The girl turned to him and scoffed, shrugging his arm off of her.

Chenle had the face of a kid caught red-handed.

"Not now, of course. In the future, you know?"

Xia brushed off his poor excuse of a recovery. "Yeah, okay. And to answer your question; yes, I'm sure. I'm already drowning in 'rich brat' allegations, I don't need 'trophy wife' added to the list."

He snorted out a laugh. "More like a participation ribbon," he muttered.

She had heard it all before, used to the man's sense of humor, but that doesn't mean it hurt any less.

Even though she knew he didn't mean it, a nagging part of her brain said there was some truth behind it.

That's all she was to him: a consolation prize.

An 'oh, I guess you've also been around, so why not you?'

Xia smacked his shoulder, causing Chenle to send a fake shocked look in her direction.