The sacrifice

Oberheuser: It all started with Gabriel killing Leo by shooting him in the head while he was reading.
Cop: How can you be so sure?
After that question, Oberheuser sat on the ground and looked at the sky, taking a deep breath.
Oberheuser: Because Connor wrote how he killed all the remaining boys using a laser gun in his diary.
Cop: Why would he write that?
Oberheuser: Because he was blackmailed by someone he didn't know. The person's profile picture has a five-sided cross. They gave Connor a choice: he could save his close friends by killing all males except two, or his close friends would die.
Cop: So, he left someone... I think it's Helmut and Johan?
Oberheuser: Yes, his close friends were Ciara, Maeve, and Patrick.
Cop: But all four of them are dead, how?
Oberheuser: Listen, it all started with Gabriel killing Leo. I assume he also got a message like that, but let's not talk about that now.
Cop: Ok.
Oberheuser: After Gabriel killed Leo, he opened Leo's house door so that he could leave. But Connor was waiting for him. When Gabriel opened the door, he was sliced by Connor, and one by one, Connor killed all the boys except Helmut and Patrick.
Cop: But the condition was to leave two boys, right?
Oberheuser: Except for Patrick and himself, he had to spare two boys.
Cop: Then what happened with the girls?
Oberheuser: The same, but it's Maeve who did that.
Cop: Any proof?
Oberheuser: This laser gun I found below her pillow.
Cop: After that, who killed them?
Oberheuser: Patrick killed Connor—they were best friends. I found two friendship bands in Patrick's room and a gun (not a laser) where one bullet was missing. After he killed his best friend, for whatever reason, he took his friendship band with him.
Cop: Then who killed the remaining people? Was it Gudrun?
Oberheuser: The gun I found at Ciara's place had two bullets missing, and both Maeve and Patrick were killed—one in front of the back door and one in the bedroom without any sign of resistance. That can only happen when you don't expect someone close to you to betray you.
Cop: So, you're saying Ciara killed Patrick and Maeve?
Oberheuser: Yes, then it was Eva and Gudrun's turn. I assume the one who killed Ciara is Eva, and then Eva was killed by Gudrun, and someone shot Gudrun from behind.
Cop: How can you say Gudrun didn't shoot Ciara?
Oberheuser: There are two possibilities.
First: Eva knocked on Ciara's back door, and when Ciara looked through the peephole, Eva shot her. After that, Eva entered the house and was about to close the door but was shot by Gudrun, who was hiding behind the giant rock. Then someone shot Gudrun from behind.
Second: Gudrun shot Ciara and was waiting for Eva, but Eva was behind her and shot Gudrun in the neck, fled to her house, and someone shot Eva before she could close the door.
Cop: So, which is the correct one?
Oberheuser: I don't know, but I'm biased toward the first one. All the bullet guns had suppressors, so nobody heard a single sound.
Cop: What should we do? The detectives will arrive this morning, and we don't have signals here.
Oberheuser: First, let's discuss the situation with the remaining grown-ups.

---

The scene shifts inside Katrin's room, where Katrin, Bjorn, Isabella, Lucas, Olav, Oberheuser, and the cop discuss everything.

After hearing the details, Katrin, Bjorn, Isabella, and Lucas start crying. Olav looks shocked. The thing that hurts Katrin and Bjorn more is that they were unable to protect the people they loved most.

Katrin, while crying, talks to Oberheuser.

Katrin: I don't know if we'll make it out of this alive or not, but I wanted to say sorry, Oberheuser. Please forgive me for the way we treated you in the beginning.
Katrin falls at Oberheuser's feet, begging for forgiveness.

---

Flashback:

In the early days, when they had just moved to Tenbu (the giant tree city), everyone treated Oberheuser like an outsider. All the Tenbu members would eat together at a giant dining table.