Chapter 38 - Knowing She's Pregnant

"My lady" Chunfeng expressed her concern as they returned to the inner chamber, "what are we going to do now?"

Wang Momo remained calm and composed. "Chunfeng, don't worry. The mitress woke up too early today. Let's help her change into something more comfortable." She had intentionally dressed her mistress this way because she knew that the emperor had spent the previous night in the empress's palace.

"Momo, why did you make mistress pretend to be sick? Now look, not only did she fail to gain the emperor's sympathy, but she's also been punished," Chun Yu said anxiously. She had opposed the idea earlier that morning, but both her mistress and Wang Momo hadn't listened to her.

Bai Jingxian, who was getting a headache from their bickering, interjected, "That's enough. Momo meant well. You'll understand in time. I'm feeling a bit tired—let's talk after I wake up." Whether it was psychological or not, ever since learning she was pregnant, she felt increasingly lethargic.

"Yes, My Lady. Let me help you freshen up," ChunFeng said as she stepped forward to remove Bai Jingxian's hair ornaments and palace attire.

Once her clothing was removed, Bai Jingxian felt as though a great weight had been lifted from her body.

"Wake me when lunch is ready," she said, leaving those words behind before heading to her bed for some rest.

Wang Momo, ever resourceful, remembered that her mistress had been sentenced to punishment. She found two meticulous servants to help copy the "Clear Heart Sutra" on her behalf.

In the Qinzhen Palace, after returning, Emperor Rui sat quietly, deep in thought.

It was De Fu, worried about his emperor, who finally stepped forward and inquired, "Your Majesty, is there something troubling you?" Though De Fu knew well enough what weighed on the emperor's mind, he dared not speak it aloud.

Emperor Rui glanced up, his eyes moving slightly. "Has word been kept from Ci'an Palace?" He knew there were restless souls within the Empress's quarters, and he didn't want the news of her pregnancy reaching them.

"Yes, Your Majesty. The information has been kept under wraps, but if we hold it for too long, the Empress Dowager may become suspicious." De Fu felt deep sorrow for his emperor. How could a mother treat her own son so coldly?

"Send An Jiu in her place," Emperor Rui said softly. "This child of the Empress must be protected at all costs. It's been years since good news has come out of the palace."

Who he was speaking to remained unclear.

"Rest assured, Your Majesty, this servant will ensure that the Empress's child is well-protected," De Fu responded, feeling a deep sadness. Why was it so difficult for his emperor to have a child when the harem was filled with so many favored consorts?

"Your Majesty," De Fu hesitated before speaking again, "that person has entered the palace once more."

"Ha! Does he really think this is his household? Tell Prince Duan to leave the palace immediately," Emperor Rui snapped, slamming his hand on the desk in frustration.

"And if the Empress Dowager interferes, go to Prince Duan's mansion and bring the heir into the palace. I have no healthy sons under my roof. Prince Duan's son has displayed admirable character, and I wish to groom him."

With that, Emperor Rui closed his eyes, concealing the bitterness and resentment that filled them.

"Keep a close watch on Lanyue Pavilion. Ensure nothing goes wrong there." As De Fu prepared to leave, Emperor Rui added softly.

De Fu understood perfectly. "Rest assured, Your Majesty. Wang Momo is reliable and will surely protect He Liangdi." This time, De Fu wiped away tears.

Earlier that morning, when Emperor Rui had seen Bai Jingxian, his heart had ached. The night before, he had learned of the joyous news at Lanyue Pavilion and had planned to visit the woman who had recently suffered so much. But Wang Momo had stopped him just as he received word that the imperial physician had been summoned to the Empress's palace, forcing him to go to Kunning Palace instead. Still, he had instructed Wang Momo to take good care of He Liangdi.