Chapter 36 - The Empress is Pregnant

Wang Momo glanced at her mistress and noticed her downcast gaze. She understood immediately—her mistress likely had her own concerns.

"Your Highness, should we remove them?" Wang Momo had now formally taken over the management of Bai Jingxian's affairs.

Previously, Chun Feng had handled these matters, but with Wang Momo now in the picture, Chun Feng found herself with some relief.

"There's no need. Let's see what their objective is. I doubt that Consort Shu would make a move at this time," Bai Jingxian remarked. After hiding her true motives for so many years, it didn't make sense for Consort Shu to strike now, and certainly not against her.

"Just make sure they don't come near the west wing of our palace," Chun Feng chimed in, though she couldn't help feeling uneasy. Despite her concerns, she understood the weight of the situation.

The mistress had said before that she was fishing, but it was unclear what sort of fish she was hoping to catch. While Chun Feng didn't understand what her mistress meant, she knew that Bai Jingxian was plotting something.

"Chun Feng is right. Wang Momo, keep an eye on them and try to find out what Consort Shu has been up to lately. Ever since the struggle for favor began, she's been eerily quiet," Bai Jingxian continued.

While the emperor had been preoccupied with state matters, the inner palace was equally abuzz with activity. A full seven or eight days had passed without the emperor visiting the Lan Yue Pavilion.

This time, Bai Jingxian wasn't going to send anyone to summon him. She was waiting. The Empress had already made her move against her, so it was only fitting that she return the favor with a surprise of her own.

Whether the Empress was plotting to take her child or not, Bai Jingxian would not allow it. The Empress wanted a child? Fine, she would grant her that wish.

A legitimate princess was still quite prestigious, after all. As for a son? Bai Jingxian would bear him herself—her son would be far healthier, after all.

The small jade vial in her possession had changed over time. Previously the size of two fingers, it had now split into two vials, each the size of a single finger. One contained the Son-Bearing Pill, and the other, the Daughter-Bearing Pill.

The Daughter-Bearing Pill, however, wasn't as effective as the Son-Bearing Pill. While the Son-Bearing Pill guaranteed the birth of a healthy boy, the Daughter-Bearing Pill could only ensure that the mother conceived a daughter. Whether the child would be born healthy depended on the mother's abilities.

The Empress wanted a child so badly—what harm was there in granting her wish? Bai Jingxian wasn't one to gamble her life or future just for a bit of favor from the Empress.

In the palace, there was no such thing as sisterhood. How could there be any genuine feelings between women who all slept with the same man? Even if there were, they would still be rivals.

But enough of that, let's get back to the present.

It turned out that Consort Shu wasn't the only one planting spies in the Lan Yue Pavilion. Soon after, another batch of people arrived, this time with even more infiltrators. It seemed every palace was involved.

"Your Highness, what is the Empress's intention?" Wang Momo was increasingly confused. The Empress managed the affairs of all six palaces, so there was no way she wouldn't know about the new people entering the pavilion.

Bai Jingxian smiled slyly, recalling the task she had given to Wang Momo previously. "I suspect there's good news coming from the Empress's side. No rush—we'll find out during tomorrow's morning greeting what kind of scheme she's up to."