Chapter 59 - A Deep Conversation with the Empress

The empress was momentarily taken aback but quickly recovered. "It's certainly acceptable to promote someone for their contribution to childbirth, but I wonder what position the emperor intends to promote her to." 

The emperor wasn't one to be swayed by beauty, and the palace didn't have many consorts; currently, there were only four noble consorts and positions for both the Xiangyi and Deyi were still vacant, with one position for the Jieyu still vacant.

Regardless, it would be impossible for He Liangdi to leap four ranks solely based on her contribution to childbirth. 

As for the child of He Liangdi, the empress had no intention of letting He Liangdi raise it herself. This is because there were rules in the Great Yue dynasty: no royal heirs could be raised by their birth mother if she was below the third rank. The child He Liangdi bore would inevitably not be raised by her, so it would be better to...

But the empress couldn't decide at that moment. If she bore a princess, and He Liangdi bore a son, she would naturally want the child to be raised under her care. If it were a princess, well... never mind.

Hearing the empress's question, Emperor Rui smiled. "I believe He Liangdi is of noble character and is quite fortunate; being promoted to a Guifei would be wonderful." 

Upon hearing this, the empress understood; indeed, the emperor wished to promote her to a Guifei (noble consort). 

"If she bears a royal son, that would indeed be fortunate." The empress would never contradict the emperor and happily agreed, as it signified her consent to the rank he proposed.

But who would have thought...

"No, I meant if she bears a princess." The emperor looked at the empress with a smile. "If she gives birth to a son, I think He Deyi would be quite suitable for her."

At this, the empress could no longer continue the conversation. The emperor had cut off her previous thoughts.

If she were truly promoted to He Deyi, then she could personally raise the heirs. Not only that but even the two current consorts of the third rank would have been surpassed. 

Seeing the empress at a loss for words, the emperor patiently explained further. "Let's not mention the lack of royal sons in the palace; there's only the third prince left alive. There are already people in the court urging me to adopt the heirs of Prince Duan. Do you know what the consequences of that would be?"

The emperor's expression turned serious. "The adopted prince would have his own biological parents. Do you think they would really treat you better than their own parents?" He had never considered adopting Prince Duan's bloodline; even if he had no heirs, the throne wouldn't pass to Prince Duan.

The empress was startled. "Your Majesty." 

Yes, if adoption were involved, how would she, as empress, stand after the emperor's death?

With the title of empress but no real power, she would face the new emperor's disdain. Perhaps a word from the new empress could turn her into a target. It was likely she wouldn't be able to sit securely.

"Don't worry; I won't allow such things to happen. So, Yu-er, let's remain of one heart and one mind." He knew what the empress was afraid of and what she was plotting.

As long as she didn't overstep, he could tolerate anything because they are a married couple. 

Though their youth had been filled with difficulties, over the years, the empress's loyalty remained in his heart.

"He Liang has no maternal family background, and the Bai family is insignificant. No matter how much support she receives, she is still someone who cannot achieve much. Such a clear background person is trustworthy, isn't it?"

The empress understood the emperor's meaning and grasped the deeper implications behind his words.

With a clear background, the emperor was hinting that a too-powerful maternal family would hinder the prince's development.

Yes, any emperor would dislike having a son whose background overshadowed his own.

"I understand, Your Majesty. Rest assured, as empress, I have the capacity to tolerate. If she truly has this blessing, then He Deyi deserves it." She realized the emperor was merely informing her, not consulting her.

If so, she wouldn't dampen the emperor's spirits, but she would certainly regard this young lady Bai more highly.

"Although the Bai family behind He Liangdi cannot help her, if she really gives birth to a prince, I'm afraid it will be a burden. Does Your Majesty have any plans?"

.....

After being guided by the emperor, the empress knew what to do next.

But in her heart, she hoped Bai Jingxian would give birth to a daughter, as her current favor was almost on par with Lan Guifei.

Lan Guifei garnered affection partly due to her family background and partly because she could not bear children, which allowed the emperor to indulge her without worry.

But Bai Jingxian was different; not only was her background clean, but she could also give birth. How could the empress not be anxious and cautious?

Compared to the other women in the palace, she feared the final outcome would be what the emperor had described.

Bai Jingxian was unaware of how the emperor had frightened the empress on her behalf. Naturally, even if she knew, she would agree with the emperor.

After all, those adopted have their biological parents intact; how could they truly respect the glory of others while living under the shadow of their own parents' honor?

When parents have their own selfish motives, their children will naturally lean towards their closest relatives.

After the emperor left, the empress sat in a daze for a long time, only regaining her senses when De Fei came in.

Recalling the emperor's words, she inexplicably shared them with De Fei.

De Fei felt the empress was overthinking. They no longer sought favor; no matter how much the emperor doted on He Liangdi, her status would never surpass theirs.

Unless they all died.

But upon hearing the disadvantages of adoption, De Fei began to ponder as well.

"Your Majesty, let's wait a bit longer. If you can give birth to a legitimate son, then her having a son won't matter." De Fei had long lost her desire to compete.

When the emperor came, she served him dutifully; when he did not come, she wouldn't blame the heavens or anyone else.

To be able to conceive this child was a blessing from above; she had no great ambitions, only hoping for the child's safe growth.

"Indeed, everything must wait until I give birth. However, I fear this pregnancy won't be peaceful. There hasn't been any news from that side, which worries me further. Recently, Shu Fei has been vying for favor intensely, which likely means she's harboring other intentions."

She had never let go of past grievances, even if the child returned.

"Don't worry, Your Majesty. The emperor won't neglect this matter." De Fei patted the empress's hand, her eyes filled with determination.

Yet the empress was reluctant to place her trust in others, mainly because she had suffered too greatly. "Let's hope so. How about you? Are you doing well these days? Why do you keep coming to me? This place is the least secure right now."

Having known each other for many years, she didn't wish to see De Fei end up getting hurt, especially if it were to happen at her expense.

"I'm fine; I believe in you, Your Majesty."

"But I don't trust myself. You should stay in the courtyard as much as possible; focus on your health and ensure you give birth safely."

The two mothers, who had lost children previously, comforted each other.