Chapter 67 - Hidden Calculations

Bai Jingxian truly admired the people of this ancient era; they played their games well.

True feelings? Ha, she never intended to speak of true feelings with the Emperor.

After all, the most heartless place is the imperial family. Even families with deep-rooted backgrounds might not have genuine feelings, so after she transmigrated, she discarded any notion of true feelings.

After all, she had never experienced sincerity herself.

Having never known parental love, why would she care about love between a man and a woman?

"They say that Lan Guifei is the most beautiful woman in the world. When she was still present, she was known as a talented woman in the capital—her beauty and talents were both unmatched." Wang Momo, though unsure why the mistress looked so sorrowful, feared she was dwelling too deeply and spoke up to distract her.

"I see, it all makes sense now." Bai Jingxian laughed after hearing Wang Momo's words. "Did Guifei only join the Emperor after that other person was hidden away?"

Wang Momo was momentarily stunned by the remark but quickly grasped the mistress's meaning. "Yes, after that event, the Emperor personally sought to marry the legitimate daughter of the Tan family."

If Bai Jingxian recalled correctly, it was around the time the previous emperor was gravely ill and there were intentions to establish a crown prince.

"Our Emperor, his thoughts run deep. Wang Momo, you don't need to say anymore. Find an opportunity to place one of our people in Changchun Palace. I suspect my face has already attracted attention." Bai Jingxian didn't think that a concubine as notorious as herself would escape that person's interest.

It was likely that person's hand was involved in pushing things back then—someone with such deep thoughts would be difficult to deal with.

At least harder to handle than Lan Guifei.

"Yes." Wang Momo's heart trembled. If that person intended to rise again, the harem would undoubtedly fall into chaos. After all, favor was something given by the Emperor.

Though her mistress's favor rivaled that of Lan Guifei's, it hadn't yet surpassed the other consorts.

Moreover, her mistress's reputation before entering the palace meant that the days ahead might be difficult.

The title of "calamity to the nation" wasn't something just anyone could bear.

"Mistress, should we investigate the rumors accusing you of bringing calamity to the nation?" Wang Momo grew bolder in her speech, seeing that no one else was present.

If the matter wasn't properly dealt with, even giving birth to an heir might not improve the situation much.

The Emperor was naturally suspicious.

Even if there was no suspicion now, what about in the future?

"Didn't they say all the officials were involved? What's left to investigate?" She had already noted down every name.

In fact, it wasn't all the officials; the petitions mostly came from those who had daughters in the harem.

The rest were simply following the trend.

"I'll fight them. Let's see whether I'm more resilient, or they are." Bai Jingxian loved a challenge. If she won, there'd be a bloody victory. If she lost, all she'd lose was her life. As long as the Emperor only had a son born of her, she would never need to worry about them.

"Mistress." Wang Momo had never imagined her mistress would have such thoughts. "There are so many powerful families, how could we ever win against them?" She was filled with worry and fear.