Chapter 107 - Dividing Favors

"Jing'er." Zhao Jinrui, disregarding his own illness, stepped forward and wrapped his arms around her.

"I will never let you down," he whispered in her ear.

Bai Jingxian didn't reply, but she had her own calculations in mind.

She dared to come precisely because she understood what smallpox was. Having already had the rash herself, she naturally wasn't afraid of getting infected again. Furthermore, this was the perfect opportunity to win his favor; she would not give up on it no matter what.

The children had also had the rash and were not afraid of a second infection. With that worry gone, what did she have left to be concerned about? Naturally, she needed to win the affection of the man before her. With his favor, her life and her children's lives would be unshakable.

After holding him for a while, Bai Jingxian noticed he was burning up with fever. "Your Majesty, you're still running a fever. Let's go back and lie down."

At that moment, Zhao Jinrui behaved like a compliant child; he did whatever she said, but his eyes never left her.

"A high fever shouldn't be covered up. Your Majesty, quickly take off your outer robe. I'll go get some water to help you cool down; it will make you feel better." As she spoke, she began to help him remove his clothing.

Zhao Jinrui was very cooperative.

Bai Jingxian not only wiped him down with water but also asked the palace attendants outside to bring some strong liquor, in case his fever didn't subside.

With her care, Zhao Jinrui felt a sense of relaxation, perhaps because he had someone dear by his side. As soon as he relaxed, he slipped into a deep sleep.

Seeing him like this, Bai Jingxian felt somewhat uneasy and called for the imperial physician, the same one who had helped her previously.

"Physician Huang, please check on His Majesty. Is the fever getting worse?" Sleeping wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

Physician Huang stepped forward to take his pulse, and then his brows furrowed. "Reporting to He Fangyi, His Majesty has the affliction of evil wind entering the body. Not only is he threatened by smallpox, but he's also affected by the evil wind. The medicine needs to be changed."

Having two illnesses at once was not easy to endure.

This was something the physician didn't dare to say out loud.

"Alright, then please go and prepare a new prescription." Bai Jingxian instructed the physician to go and change the medicine; they would need to administer it soon.

Thus, Bai Jingxian stayed in the Qinzheng Hall.

Once the harem learned of this, every expression was different.

Liang Fei scolded her for being foolish but also envied her. She understood better than anyone that if the emperor survived, He Fangyi's status would become immeasurable.

What's more, she might even surpass her.

Even though she was envious, she wouldn't gamble with her own life; after all, her feelings for the emperor were not deep enough to that extent.

In the empress's quarters, seeing her sickly children, the empress felt distressed.

"She is indeed bold, but I wonder if she has that good fortune." A hint of resentment flickered in the empress's eyes.

In fact, it didn't matter to her whether the emperor lived or died as long as her son was alive.

If the emperor were to die, her son would inherit the throne; if the emperor survived, the throne would still belong to her son in the future.