Chapter 99

But now, most of the children being born were princesses, and the disappointment in his heart was considerable. It was only natural for him to feel upset.

"Greetings, Your Majesty." Bai Jingxian was playing with the children when the emperor suddenly arrived, startling her.

Seeing the emperor's expression, Bai Jingxian didn't dare to voice any complaints. She stepped forward to help him remove his outer robe and asked, "Why has Your Majesty come at this time? Is there something you need from your concubine?"

After all, the emperor rarely visited the consorts' quarters in the morning.

"What are you all doing?" Zhao Jinrui didn't answer her directly but instead looked at the three sons lying on the floor.

"Playing with the children. Would Your Majesty care to join?"

She asked this without any real sincerity, just making conversation, but...

"Alright."

His agreement almost made Bai Jingxian kick him. "Ah."

"What, am I not welcome?" Zhao Jinrui's face darkened.

"No, of course not, Your Majesty. I was thinking of you, and couldn't wait for you to come. How could I not welcome you? You're just in time. I'm about to go crazy being tormented by these three little rascals. Look at them."

Quickly changing the subject, Bai Jingxian knew better than to provoke this man when he was in a bad mood.

As she expected, Zhao Jinrui was indeed full of frustration, though it wasn't directed at her. He had come here to cool off.

The three children babbled and drooled, their little mouths occasionally spilling saliva onto the adults.

Zhao Jinrui didn't mind. After all, they were his own sons.

"You little rascal, you dare bite me? Quite bold, aren't you?" Seeing the youngest son crawling toward him, Zhao Jinrui picked him up and held him.

"Not even picky about cleanliness, huh? Biting whatever comes your way." He gave the child a light pat on the bottom, not too hard. "Will you keep biting?"

The few-month-old baby couldn't understand any of this, thinking Zhao Jinrui was just playing with him and started babbling even more excitedly.

"Hey, you little rascal, coming at me again."

Father and son played a game of chase, enjoying themselves thoroughly.

Bai Jingxian watched with the eldest and second sons, smiling as their little brother played with their father. The two older ones occasionally clapped their hands in delight, adding to the fun.

Playing with the children was exhausting, and soon, the three little ones were tired.

Bai Jingxian called the wet nurse to take the children away for a change of clothes. Then, she personally helped the emperor change his saliva-soaked clothes.

"My beloved consort is still the best, unlike those little rascals who just smear drool all over me."

Hearing his complaint, Bai Jingxian couldn't help but chuckle. "Your Majesty is upset with the children? They're too young to know, they think you're just playing with them."

Although she didn't know why he had been in a bad mood earlier, he seemed much more relaxed now, but she didn't intend to ask.

After changing, the two of them moved to Bai Jingxian's usual spot by the window where she relaxed.

"You really live a comfortable life. I'm always so tired," Zhao Jinrui said with a hint of envy after taking a sip of tea.

"Your Majesty, my comfort is all thanks to you. Without Your Majesty, how could I have such a life? I didn't even dare to dream of this in the past." She placed her delicate hand on his shoulder, massaging away his fatigue.