[26]: Lovers Reunite

~1963~

Diego remained crouched behind a car; Lila was right next to him as they waited for the sirens to pass. Once they did, Diego peeked his head up to watch as the flashing lights faded away before murmuring, "This way." 

He got up and swiftly ran across the street, hearing Lila behind him. They entered a small alleyway before rounding the corner and hiding behind a building. 

Lila peered around the corner, making sure the police cars were gone. Diego pressed a hand against the wall, his body behind hers as he checked as well. "All right, we can't stay here too long," Diego said quickly as he looked around. "They're gonna be looking for us." 

"The cops or those large Scandinavian fellas with guns?"

"Both," Diego answered before turning and looking around once again. His eyes caught sight of laundry that was hung to dry on the second floor of the building a few feet away from them. He ran over and hopped up on top of the dumpster. He then jumped over the railings of the walkway.

"What are you doing?" Lila asked as she watched him pull the clothes off the line. 

"I'm not gonna get very far dressed like a lobotomy case," he pointed out as he threw down a plaid dress before reeling the line in for his own clothes. "You mean we won't get very far," Lila corrected as Diego headed down the staircase, clothes in hand.