Part 20

"why are we here?"

You looked back at Jongho, who was busy taking off his blazer, placing it on the bench and adjusting all your stuff together so that nothing goes missing.

"isn't it obvious, we are at a basketball ground." He said and unbuttoned the sleeves of his white polo shirt and proceeded to folding it. then he glanced over at you, staring at him for more explanation, not clearly getting the point of being at the place.

When he rolled his eyes, you glared at him, "I thought we were here on a business meeting but it ended in the morning and now we are here in the ground. Care to explain?" his eyes trailed on your white flared skirt, ending just below the knee and a light pink top, fitting your body perfectly.

"let's play." He smiled at you cheekily.

The young Jongho flashed across your eyes. The same gummy smile but with a mature and refreshed look. Your favorite smile which you wanted to watch everyday in your way back to the orphanage.

And this made you miss Mrs. Stella so much. Where is she?

The night was alive with a quiet, peaceful stillness as you both made your way to the center of the basketball court. It was late—so late that the usual sounds of the city had faded, leaving only the soft hum of distant traffic and the occasional rustling of trees in the cool breeze. The empty court sat under the soft glow of streetlights, the pavement shining faintly under their feet as they stepped onto it.

You looked around, feeling slightly out of place. "So, this is what we're doing tonight?" You asked, your voice carrying a hint of nervousness. You had never really played basketball before—just watched from the sidelines or seen others play on like him and Yunho and sometimes others when they joined in the game. The ball felt a little foreign in your hands, heavier than you expected, and the hoop seemed impossibly far away.

Jongho flashed you an easy smile, walking ahead and grabbing the basketball from your hands, giving it a few bounces on the pavement. "Trust me," he said with a grin. "It'll be fun. You'll learn in no time."

You let out a skeptical laugh, crossing your arms. "I don't know, I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to sports. I'm also wondering where did you get the ball."

He chuckled, shaking his head. "You say that now, but just wait. I'm a good teacher. The waiter I was talking to in the afternoon...he is a trainee in an academy so well he lent me." He dribbled the ball effortlessly, the rhythmic sound of it hitting the ground filling the quiet night air.

You stood at the free-throw line, biting your lip as he tossed the ball back to you. You caught it awkwardly, fumbling slightly before getting a grip. "Okay, so what do I do?"

Jongho walked over to your side, standing close enough that you could feel his presence but not so close that it felt overwhelming. "First thing's first," he said, gently placing his hands on your shoulders to adjust your stance. "Feet shoulder-width apart. You want to be balanced."

you shifted your feet, mimicking his instructions, though it still felt awkward. you held the ball out in front of you, your elbows sticking out too far, and you glanced at him with a hesitant smile. "Like this?"

"Almost," he said, stepping closer and lightly adjusting your arms, bringing your elbows in and showing you how to hold the ball properly. His touch was gentle but firm, and you could feel the warmth of his hand as he guided you. "See? Now you've got control."

The spark inside you was undeniable as if the night felt colder and silent. His presence so close to you never held such tension between you two but tonight it was rising a new feeling, you subtly caught his eyes, the gleam of excitement and happiness in the orbs, he was always this friendly and acted like a child. He actually never grew up. He is still your little teddy bear, whom you befriended back then. Your gummy bear.