Chapter 33

As Engfa stood there, wrapped in Charlotte's arms, she felt the tension in her body slowly dissolve. The warmth of Charlotte's embrace was enough to soothe her nerves, and for a moment, everything else melted away. But deep down, she knew that this peace was temporary. The reality of what she had been through, what she had put Charlotte through, was still looming over them.

Later that evening, they returned home. Charlotte was quiet, still shaken by the events of the day, but her worry for Engfa was stronger than her anger. Engfa could sense it, and it made her feel even worse. She knew she had crossed a line, not just with the racing, but with everything she had been doing to avoid her problems.

Charlotte glanced at Engfa as they sat down on the couch. "You need to talk to me more, Engfa," she said, her voice soft but firm. "You can't just keep running away like this. I can't keep watching you hurt yourself."

Engfa sighed, leaning back against the couch. "I don't know how to deal with it all sometimes," she admitted. "Work, my past, everything just piles up, and I feel like I'm drowning."

Charlotte reached over, gently taking Engfa's hand. "You don't have to deal with it alone. That's what I'm here for."

Engfa looked at her, guilt and gratitude mixing in her chest. "I know, but it's hard. I don't want to drag you down with me."

"You're not dragging me down," Charlotte said, squeezing her hand. "We're supposed to be partners in this. Whatever you're going through, we'll face it together."

Engfa nodded, but the heaviness in her heart lingered. There were still things she hadn't told Charlotte—about Mew, about Michael's confession, about her enemies who were watching her. She wanted to protect Charlotte, to keep her safe from all of it, but she also knew that keeping secrets would only make things worse.

Before she could say anything else, there was a knock at the door. Charlotte frowned, glancing at the clock. It was late—who could it be at this hour?

Charlotte got up to answer the door, and when she opened it, they were both surprised to see Nudee standing there, looking concerned.

"Nudee? What's wrong?" Engfa asked, sitting up straighter.

Nudee stepped inside, her eyes darting between them. "I needed to check on you," she said, her tone serious. "After what happened today... I just had a bad feeling."

Engfa raised an eyebrow. "A bad feeling?"

Nudee nodded. "Yeah, I don't know. It's just... something feels off. I don't know how to explain it, but I had to come."

Charlotte crossed her arms, clearly not happy about the unexpected visit. "Engfa's fine now, Nudee. You don't have to worry."

But Nudee shook her head. "It's not just about today. There's been some stuff going on—rumors, people talking. And I think it's about Engfa's enemies. I didn't want to say anything earlier, but I think they're planning something."

Engfa's heart sank. The last thing she needed was more trouble. She exchanged a glance with Charlotte, who was frowning.

"What are you talking about?" Engfa asked, her voice low.

Nudee hesitated, then sighed. "I heard some guys talking at the race. They mentioned your name, Engfa. Something about 'keeping an eye on you' and 'sending a message.' I didn't think much of it at first, but after what happened today, I think they're serious."

Engfa felt a chill run down her spine. She had been so focused on her own problems that she hadn't considered the possibility that her enemies might still be after her.

Charlotte's face went pale. "Engfa, this is serious. You need to stay away from those people."

"I know," Engfa muttered, rubbing her temples as the migraine that had eased earlier began to creep back. "But it's not that easy."