Chapter 50

Engfa sat on the edge of the bed, her arms crossed and her gaze fixed on the floor, sulking in silence. Charlotte had just left the room, and the weight of their argument hung heavily in the air. The thought of a motorbike had ignited a passionate discussion, but Charlotte's refusal to let her buy one felt like a betrayal.

"I just wanted to feel free, like I could go anywhere I wanted," Engfa whispered to herself, wiping away a tear that had escaped down her cheek. She didn't understand why Charlotte couldn't see how much it meant to her.

After a few moments of feeling sorry for herself, Engfa decided she needed to clear her head. She slipped on her shoes and quietly left the house, leaving Charlotte behind. The cool night air met her as she stepped outside, but it did little to ease the pain in her heart.

Meanwhile, Charlotte had gone outside to pick up the food she had ordered earlier. As she walked back toward the house, she noticed Engfa's figure in the distance. She felt a pang of guilt, knowing that their argument had upset her girlfriend.

"Engfa!" Charlotte called out softly, but Engfa didn't respond. Instead, she kept walking, her shoulders slumped in defeat.

Charlotte quickened her pace, carrying the takeout bags with one hand while reaching out with the other. "Please wait!" she pleaded, finally catching up to her.

Engfa stopped but didn't turn around, her silence loud and hurtful.

"I'm sorry," Charlotte said, her voice thick with emotion. "I didn't mean to upset you. Can we talk?"

Engfa remained still, fighting back more tears. She didn't want to give in so easily, even though deep down, she missed Charlotte's comforting presence.

Charlotte took a deep breath, setting the food down on a nearby bench before stepping closer. "I know you want the motorbike because you want to feel free and adventurous, but I can't help but worry about you. You mean everything to me, and the thought of you getting hurt scares me."

Engfa turned to face Charlotte, her expression softening slightly as she saw the concern in her girlfriend's eyes. "I'll be careful, Char. I promise. It's not like I want to do dangerous stunts. I just want something that gives me a sense of freedom."

"I know," Charlotte said, her voice almost pleading. "But I just can't shake the fear of what could happen. I'm not trying to control you; I just want to keep you safe. Can you understand that?"

Engfa sighed, the tension in her shoulders easing a little. "I do get it. But it feels like you don't trust me to make my own decisions."

Charlotte stepped closer, her gaze sincere. "It's not that I don't trust you; it's just that I love you. I want to be there for you, and the thought of you getting hurt... it's just hard for me. Please don't think I'm trying to take away your independence."

As Engfa listened, her heart softened. She understood where Charlotte was coming from, but the desire for her own adventure still bubbled within her. "I just want to feel like I can do something for myself," she admitted, her voice quieter now.

"I get that," Charlotte replied gently, reaching out to take Engfa's hands in hers. "And I want you to have that. Maybe we can find a compromise? I could go with you, and we could learn together. That way, I know you'll be safe, and you can still have that freedom."

Engfa considered this, the idea of having Charlotte by her side making her heart swell. "You would do that for me?"

"Of course," Charlotte said, smiling softly. "You're worth it. And I'll even let you ride the bike after I make sure you can handle it safely."

Engfa felt her heart lighten, and a small smile crept onto her lips. "Okay, deal. But I want a cute helmet. One that matches the bike!"

Charlotte laughed, the sound bringing a warmth to the chilly night air. "Absolutely! We'll make it happen."