Chapter 31

As Engfa sat at her desk, finally feeling better after days of dealing with her migraine, she was ready to tackle the pile of work waiting for her. The office was quieter than usual, giving her a moment to breathe. Tina, her ever-reliable bodyguard, entered the room with a serious expression.

"Boss, someone's here to see you," Tina said, her voice steady. "A guy named Mew."

Engfa frowned, confused. She didn't know anyone named Mew, at least not anyone who would come looking for her at work. "Did he say what he wanted?" she asked, standing up and adjusting her blazer.

"No, but he seemed pretty upset," Tina replied, her eyes scanning the room for any potential threats. "Be careful."

Engfa nodded and followed Tina down to the lobby. As soon as they stepped out of the elevator, she spotted a man pacing near the entrance. He looked furious, his hands clenched into fists. Before Engfa could say anything, the man lunged at her, attempting to throw a punch.

Instinctively, Engfa dodged the attack, narrowly avoiding his fist. Tina stepped forward, ready to intervene, but Engfa held her hand up, signaling her to stand down.

"Who are you, and what do you think you're doing?" Engfa demanded, her voice firm but calm.

Mew was breathing heavily, his eyes wild with anger. "Charlotte is my girlfriend!" he screamed, pointing an accusing finger at Engfa. "You have no right to be with her!"

Engfa's heart skipped a beat. She stood frozen for a moment, trying to process what he just said. **Charlotte's...girlfriend?** No way. That didn't make sense. They had spent the past weeks growing closer, and Charlotte never mentioned anyone else.

"You've got the wrong person," Engfa replied, her voice steady despite the confusion swirling in her mind. "Charlotte isn't dating you. She's not with anyone but me."

Mew's face twisted in frustration, and he shook his head violently. "You don't know anything! We've been together for years! She's mine!"

Tina moved forward, placing herself between Engfa and Mew. "I suggest you leave now before things get worse," Tina warned, her voice low and threatening.

Engfa watched as Mew stormed out, muttering under his breath. She stood there, trying to piece together what had just happened. Charlotte hadn't mentioned anyone named Mew before, let alone the fact that she might have been in a relationship with him.

As Engfa headed back up to her office, her mind raced with questions. **What if he's telling the truth? What if Charlotte's been hiding something from me?**

The doubt began to creep in, and the more Engfa thought about it, the worse it got. What if everything they had shared over the past few weeks was based on a lie? What if Charlotte was still in love with someone else?

Tina noticed the worried look on Engfa's face as they rode the elevator back up. "You okay, Boss?"

Engfa shook her head slightly, trying to push the thoughts away. "I don't know, Tina. I don't know what to think right now."

"You know Charlotte better than anyone. Don't let this guy get inside your head," Tina said, offering a small but reassuring smile.

Engfa nodded, but the seed of doubt had already been planted. She spent the rest of the day at her desk, barely able to focus on her work. Every time she closed her eyes, she could hear Mew's voice echoing in her head: *She's mine.*

By the time the day ended, Engfa was exhausted, not just physically but mentally. She needed to talk to Charlotte, to find out the truth.

That evening, when Engfa returned home, she found Charlotte sitting on the couch, scrolling through her phone. Charlotte looked up and smiled warmly, but Engfa's heart tightened in her chest. Could Mew really be telling the truth?

"Hey, you're home early," Charlotte said, standing up and walking over to her.

Engfa tried to smile, but it didn't reach her eyes. "Yeah... long day at work."

Charlotte sensed something was off. "What's wrong?" she asked, her brows furrowed with concern.

Engfa hesitated for a moment before blurting out, "Do you know someone named Mew?"

Charlotte's eyes widened in surprise, and she stepped back slightly. "Mew? Why are you asking about him?"

Engfa's heart sank. **So it's true.** She crossed her arms defensively, the doubt swirling in her mind taking hold. "He came to my office today. Said he's your boyfriend."

Charlotte's face paled, and she took a deep breath. "Engfa, it's not what you think—"

"Then what is it?" Engfa interrupted, her voice trembling with frustration. "Why didn't you tell me about him? Was he telling the truth? Are you still with him?"

Charlotte shook her head furiously. "No, Engfa, I'm not with him. I broke up with Mew a long time ago. He's just... he's not over it."

Engfa stared at her, the doubt still gnawing at her. "Then why didn't you tell me about him? Why am I just hearing about this now?"

Charlotte stepped closer, reaching for Engfa's hand. "I didn't think he'd come back into my life. I didn't want to bring it up because I didn't want to hurt you. You're the only one I care about, Engfa."

Engfa's heart was racing, torn between believing Charlotte and the overwhelming doubt Mew had planted in her mind. "I don't know what to think," she admitted, her voice barely above a whisper.

Charlotte's eyes softened, and she gently cupped Engfa's face in her hands. "I love you, Engfa. Mew is my past, and you're my future. Please believe me."

Engfa searched Charlotte's eyes, looking for any sign of deceit, but all she saw was sincerity. Slowly, she nodded, her heart beginning to ease. "Okay," she whispered. "I believe you."

Charlotte smiled, pulling Engfa into a tight embrace. "We'll get through this together," she whispered into her ear.

As Engfa hugged her back, she realized that no matter what, she couldn't let doubt ruin what they had. She had to trust Charlotte, because without trust, their relationship wouldn't survive.

A/N: Please do vote for my story! I hope you like it.