Chapter 56

The atmosphere between Engfa and Charlotte had been tense ever since Charlotte saw Engfa draping her hands around Heidi's waist earlier in the day. It was supposed to be a harmless joke, but Charlotte's expression had been cold ever since. Now, back at their place, the silence between them was thick, heavy with unspoken emotions.

Charlotte crossed her arms, clearly upset. "I don't get it, Engfa. Why would you even joke like that? I thought you knew how I feel about stuff like that."

Engfa stood there, her eyes wide and filled with guilt. She hadn't meant to hurt Charlotte—she never would. It had just been a spur-of-the-moment thing, a playful gesture that didn't mean anything to her. But seeing Charlotte's disappointment crushed her.

"Char," Engfa started softly, her voice cracking, "it was a joke. I didn't mean anything by it. You know I love you, only you."

Charlotte's face remained stony. "But you know how much it bothers me when you're too close to other people like that. Especially Heidi."

"I know," Engfa admitted, her heart sinking. "I just... I wasn't thinking. I'm sorry, Char. Please don't be mad at me."

Charlotte sighed deeply, her frustration clear. "It's not just being mad, Fa. It's about respect and trust. How am I supposed to feel when I see that?"

Engfa's lip trembled as her eyes welled up with tears. She hated this—hated when Charlotte looked at her like this, like she'd let her down. "I'm so sorry, Charlotte. I didn't mean to hurt you. I wasn't trying to disrespect you."

She took a shaky breath, her voice growing more desperate. "Please, don't leave me, Char. Everyone else has always left me. I can't— I can't handle losing you too." Tears started streaming down her face as she choked on her words, her fear overwhelming her. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

Charlotte's anger softened the moment she saw how truly devastated Engfa was. Engfa's voice, trembling and filled with so much pain, struck her deeply. She wasn't just upset about a joke—she was terrified of losing the one person she couldn't bear to lose.

"Fa..." Charlotte whispered, her own heart aching at the sight of Engfa's tears.

Engfa wiped her eyes, still crying, her words coming out in shaky gasps. "Char, please don't go. Please don't leave me. I can't... I can't take it. You're all I have. You're the only one who's stayed."

Charlotte stepped forward, her anger melting away completely as she wrapped her arms around Engfa, pulling her close. "I'm not going anywhere, Fa. I'm not leaving you," she whispered, stroking Engfa's hair gently. "I'm sorry I got so upset. I know you didn't mean it that way. I just... I worry sometimes."

Engfa sobbed into Charlotte's shoulder, clinging to her as if she might slip away at any second. "I don't want to lose you," she whispered. "I love you so much. I didn't mean to hurt you."

Charlotte held her tighter, her own heart breaking at Engfa's vulnerability. "You won't lose me, Fa. I promise. I love you too much to leave. We'll get through this, okay?"

Engfa nodded, still crying but feeling a sense of relief wash over her. She wasn't going to lose Charlotte. "I'll do better," she promised through her tears. "I'll be more careful. Just... stay with me."

"I will," Charlotte murmured, kissing the top of Engfa's head. "I'm here. I'm not going anywhere."

Engfa and Charlotte stayed wrapped in each other's arms for a while, the tension between them slowly easing. Engfa's tears had stopped, but she held on tightly to Charlotte, as if letting go would bring the fear of losing her back.

Charlotte gently pulled away, brushing the hair from Engfa's face. "Look at me," she said softly. "I'm not leaving you, okay? But you need to trust me too. We can't have misunderstandings like this."