Chapter 61

The next day, Engfa's world shattered as she stood just outside the door of Charlotte's office, heart pounding in her chest. She hadn't meant to eavesdrop, but as she heard Charlotte's voice and caught fragments of the conversation, something compelled her to listen.

Inside, Charlotte was talking with Heidi.

"Honestly, Heidi, this whole thing with Engfa... I'm just playing along," Charlotte's voice echoed through the gap in the door.

Engfa froze.

"I was sent to get close to her," Charlotte continued, her tone casual, as if the words weren't cutting straight through Engfa's heart. "It was always about the company. Spying on her was part of the plan. She's too easy to manipulate."

Heidi chuckled, and Engfa felt her world tilt. The person she trusted most, the one she loved beyond anything, had been lying to her. Every moment, every kiss, every promise—all of it was a game.

She didn't hear the rest of the conversation. Her mind was spinning, and her legs felt weak. Without making a sound, she turned and walked away, tears already welling up in her eyes. She couldn't face Charlotte now. Not yet.

The following morning, Engfa knew she had to confront her. There was no avoiding it. But her heart was breaking with every step she took toward their shared home, the memories of their time together now tainted by betrayal.

When she entered the living room, Charlotte was there, sipping her coffee as if nothing had changed. Engfa stood in the doorway, her voice barely holding back the hurt.

"Is it true?" she asked, her voice trembling.

Charlotte looked up, confused. "What are you talking about?"

Engfa's eyes filled with tears. "That you're just playing with me. That you've been sent here to spy on my company."

For a moment, Charlotte's face faltered. Then she set down her coffee and stood up, the confusion replaced with something colder. "You weren't supposed to hear that."

Engfa's heart dropped. She was hoping it was all a misunderstanding, a joke, something she misheard. But Charlotte's words only confirmed her worst fears.

"So it's true," Engfa whispered, her voice breaking. "You were just pretending this whole time?"

Charlotte sighed, crossing her arms. "Look, it's complicated."

"Complicated?!" Engfa's voice rose, her hurt turning into anger. "I loved you! Everything we've been through—was it all a lie?"

Charlotte stayed silent, not meeting her eyes. That silence was more painful than any words could have been.

Engfa wiped away her tears, her heart shattering with every breath. "How could you do this to me?" Her voice was a whisper now, barely holding it together.

Charlotte finally looked up, her face unreadable. "It's not that simple, Engfa. There's more to it than just us."

But to Engfa, it was as simple as it could be. The person she loved most had betrayed her. There was no coming back from this.

"Leave," Engfa said quietly, her voice thick with pain. "I can't do this anymore. We're done."

Charlotte looked like she wanted to say something, but she didn't. Instead, she grabbed her things and walked out the door, leaving Engfa standing there, heartbroken and alone.

As the door closed behind Charlotte, Engfa collapsed onto the couch, sobbing. The weight of the betrayal crushed her, and all she could think of was the love she thought they had, now gone in an instant.

She had never felt so utterly lost.