Chapter 42

The next morning, Engfa walked into her office with a sense of determination. She had a busy day ahead and was prepared to tackle whatever came her way. As she settled into her chair, she could hear her employees whispering behind her, their voices tinged with annoyance.

"Can you believe how bossy she is?" one worker said, barely keeping her voice down.

"And strict! It's like she thinks we can't do anything right," another chimed in, eliciting soft chuckles from the others.

Engfa tried to ignore the comments, focusing instead on the reports piled on her desk. But the more she worked, the more their words gnawed at her. Despite her efforts to maintain a professional demeanor, she couldn't shake the hurt feelings.

After a few hours, the tension in her head intensified, escalating into a migraine. Engfa rubbed her temples, trying to push through the pain, but it only seemed to worsen. Finally, she couldn't take it anymore. She picked up her phone and dialed Charlotte's number, hoping for a comforting voice.

"Hey, babe! What's up?" Charlotte answered, her voice bright and cheerful.

"Hey, Charlotte," Engfa replied, trying to keep her tone steady despite the ache in her head. "I'm going home early. I'm not feeling well."

"Oh no! What's wrong?" Charlotte's voice shifted to concern instantly.

"Just a migraine. I think I just need to rest," Engfa admitted, her throat tightening. "I heard some things at work that got to me..."

"Engfa, you know they don't understand how hard you work. Don't let them get to you," Charlotte said soothingly.

"I know, but it still hurts," Engfa confessed, her voice barely above a whisper.

"Okay, just get home safely. I'll be waiting for you. Take care, alright?" Charlotte said.

"Thanks, I will," Engfa replied, feeling a bit lighter.

As she drove home, the pain in her head became more unbearable. By the time she stepped through the door, tears pricked her eyes. When Charlotte saw her, her expression shifted from excitement to immediate concern.

"Engfa!" Charlotte rushed over, and before Engfa could say anything, she was enveloped in a warm hug.

Engfa melted into Charlotte's embrace, letting out a choked sob. "I'm so tired, Char. I just... I just want to be better."

"Oh, love," Charlotte whispered, rubbing Engfa's back soothingly. "It's okay to feel this way. You've been working so hard."

"I just don't know if I'm doing the right thing," Engfa admitted, her voice muffled against Charlotte's shoulder.

"You are doing great. You're an amazing boss, and it's okay to set high standards. But you also need to take care of yourself," Charlotte reassured her, pulling back slightly to look into Engfa's eyes.

Engfa nodded, wiping her tears with the back of her hand. "I hate feeling like this."

"Let's get you to bed," Charlotte said, guiding Engfa toward the couch. "I'll get you some water and your favorite blanket."

Once they settled on the couch, Charlotte tucked Engfa in and handed her a glass of water. "Just relax, okay? I'll be right here."

Engfa took a sip, grateful for Charlotte's presence. "You always know how to make me feel better."

"Because you deserve it," Charlotte said, her eyes filled with affection. "You're my everything."

As Engfa leaned her head back against the couch, she felt the warmth of Charlotte's hand in hers. The comforting presence eased her migraine slightly, and she closed her eyes, letting herself drift into a peaceful state.