Chapter 59

As Engfa and Charlotte entered the cozy dining room of Charlotte's parents' house, the air was filled with the smell of freshly brewed coffee and the warmth of family. Charlotte's mom greeted them with a bright smile, pulling them both into a hug, while her dad was already seated at the head of the table, looking at some documents—likely the wedding plans they had come to discuss.

"Ah, you're here!" Charlotte's mom exclaimed. "We've been going over some ideas for your big day."

Engfa smiled politely, though she could already feel a bit of tension creeping in. She always got a little nervous around Charlotte's parents, even though they had been nothing but kind to her.

They all sat down, and the conversation quickly turned to the wedding. Charlotte's dad was going over some ideas for the venue, while her mom suggested flower arrangements. Engfa was mostly quiet, letting Charlotte and her parents lead the discussion.

"I can't believe the big day is getting so close," Charlotte's mom said excitedly. "Have you two thought about any personal touches you want to add?"

Charlotte nodded, glancing at Engfa with a smile. "We've been talking about writing our own vows."

Her mom's face lit up. "Oh, that's beautiful! I can't wait to hear them."

Everything seemed to be going smoothly until Charlotte's dad suddenly shifted the conversation in a direction Engfa hadn't expected.

"So, Engfa," he said, leaning forward slightly. "I've been meaning to ask you... I remember Charlotte telling me that you were really close to your grandfather. What was he like?"

The question hit Engfa like a punch to the gut. Her grandfather—her source of strength, her greatest mentor, the man who had meant everything to her—was gone, and the pain of his loss still lingered deep in her heart. She hadn't expected anyone to bring him up today, especially not when they were supposed to be talking about something happy, like her wedding.

Her smile faltered, and for a moment, she didn't know how to respond. She could feel her throat tighten, the memories of her grandfather rushing back all at once.

"Um... he was..." Engfa started, but her voice cracked. She swallowed hard, trying to keep her emotions in check, but it was no use. The sadness she had tried so hard to push down was bubbling up to the surface, threatening to overwhelm her.

Charlotte noticed immediately. She reached over, placing a comforting hand on Engfa's knee under the table. "Dad," Charlotte said gently, "maybe we should change the subject."

Her dad looked confused at first, then realization dawned on him. "Oh, I'm so sorry, Engfa. I didn't mean to bring up something painful."

Engfa shook her head, managing a weak smile. "It's okay," she whispered, though it was clear she wasn't okay. Her mood had shifted completely, and the once-light atmosphere in the room had become heavy and uncomfortable.

Charlotte squeezed her knee again, trying to offer some silent support. "Why don't we take a break?" she suggested, glancing between her parents and Engfa. "Maybe go for a walk outside?"

Engfa nodded gratefully, not trusting herself to speak. Charlotte's mom gave them both a sympathetic look as they stood from the table.

Once they were outside, Engfa took a deep breath, trying to calm herself. But the second they were alone, her emotions spilled over. Tears welled up in her eyes, and she quickly wiped them away, not wanting to break down in front of Charlotte.

Charlotte stopped and turned to her, her eyes full of concern. "Fa," she said softly, "you don't have to hold it in. I'm here."

That was all it took. Engfa collapsed into Charlotte's arms, the weight of her grief too much to bear. She sobbed quietly into Charlotte's shoulder, the memories of her grandfather flooding her mind. How he used to tell her stories when she was little, how he would encourage her to chase her dreams, how proud he had been of her...