Chapter 39

As the evening wore on, Engfa still felt the pounding ache in her head, a relentless reminder of the migraine that had plagued her all day. She lay on the couch, propped up by pillows, while Charlotte busied herself in the kitchen, preparing some warm soup to help soothe Engfa.

"Are you sure you don't want to take your medicine?" Charlotte called out, her voice laced with concern as she glanced over her shoulder.

Engfa pouted, shaking her head. "I don't want the meds, Char. They make me feel weird. Besides, I have a much better remedy."

Charlotte raised an eyebrow, intrigued. "Oh really? What's that?"

With a playful grin, Engfa replied, "A kiss from my beautiful girlfriend is all I need."

Charlotte turned around, wiping her hands on a towel. She crossed her arms, feigning annoyance while trying to hide her smile. "Engfa, you can't be serious. A kiss won't cure your migraine."

Engfa shrugged, her grin widening. "But it'll make me feel better. Just one kiss, please? It'll help."

Charlotte rolled her eyes but couldn't suppress the warmth spreading in her chest at Engfa's request. "You know I can't resist you when you look at me like that."

"Exactly! So, what do you say?" Engfa urged, her tone playful yet hopeful.

"Fine," Charlotte relented, stepping closer to the couch. "But you really should take your meds afterward, okay?"

Engfa nodded eagerly, her eyes sparkling with mischief. As Charlotte leaned down, Engfa tilted her head, capturing Charlotte's lips with hers. The kiss was soft at first, but as Engfa deepened it, she felt a sense of warmth wash over her. It was as if the kiss melted away some of the tension in her head, even if just for a moment.

Pulling away, Charlotte looked at Engfa, her expression a mix of exasperation and affection. "See? That's what you wanted all along."

Engfa chuckled, leaning back against the couch. "It was worth it, though. I still don't want the meds, but that definitely helped."

"Just because it helped for a minute doesn't mean you should skip out on taking care of yourself," Charlotte said, her tone gently admonishing. "You need to listen to your body, Engfa."

Engfa sighed, running a hand through her hair. "I know, I know. But sometimes I just feel like I can power through it. I hate feeling weak."

"You're not weak," Charlotte said firmly, kneeling beside the couch to meet Engfa's gaze. "It's okay to take a break and let me take care of you. That doesn't make you any less strong; it just makes you human."

Engfa stared at Charlotte, her heart swelling at the sincerity in her eyes. "You always know just what to say to make me feel better."

Charlotte smiled softly, brushing a stray strand of hair behind Engfa's ear. "That's my job, right? To take care of you. Now, promise me you'll take your meds after dinner?"

"Promise," Engfa said, her tone playful yet sincere. "But only if you promise to give me another kiss afterward."

Charlotte chuckled, shaking her head. "You're impossible."

"Maybe a little, but you love me for it," Engfa teased, a twinkle in her eye.

Charlotte smiled, feeling her heart flutter. "Alright, I do. Just don't make me regret this later when you still have that migraine."

As they settled into a comfortable silence, Charlotte returned to the kitchen to finish preparing dinner, while Engfa tried to relax and let the warmth of the moment ease her pain. She couldn't help but feel grateful for Charlotte's unwavering support.