Prologue

I once read somewhere that love was never ending. It was limitless. And that once you truly loved someone or something, it couldn't be easily forgotten. 

But I never believed in love. At least, not at first. I always thought the idea of true love was something mothers told their daughters so they wouldn't know how fucked up the world really is. That the idea of having a soulmate was real. When in reality, love was just what people called it when two people who semi tolerated each other got together and had a baby or two. That love was when two people stayed together for fear of being alone rather than actually wanting to be with that other person. 

Thats what I thought love was. Just a fake, a nicety if you will. I thought I loved the Light Royals. I thought I loved Hades and Poseidon. But what they did to me wasn't love. It was ownership. I was taken from my world and brought to another one against my will to be a breeding mare for six royals of one region. Just when I think I am saved from that fate, it turns out I was taken for my power and to become the Gods' little pet. 

I thought I loved them and maybe I did. But they didn't love me. So, I am giving up on the aspect of love. There is no point to it. I am alone. I am scared. I am pregnant with a set of twins. And I am surrounded by men wielding sharp pointy object that can slit my fucking throat. 

Maybe I should welcome that idea. Death would certainly be more peaceful than Ember, right? And I wouldn't be bringing my children into a cruel world. They could just follow me to Valhalla, to paradise. That might be the best thing I could do for my unborn children. But I want to hope so badly. I want to know that love exists. I want to know and feel that someone truly loves me and wants nothing from me than the same love in return. 

If I can hang on a little longer, maybe I can get my answer.