31.

I open my eyes some hours later and it is the early hours of the morning. It is now time for me to go. I look to Jin's sleeping face, and I place on more kiss on his forehead. I linger there, trying not to cry and wake him. I slip a nightgown over my naked form and grab a pair of panties and a bra from the dresser. Once I put those on, I grab a long thick robe and put it on my form. I walk over to the cribs where my babies are sleeping. I take one long look at both of them before kissing their foreheads.

"Mommy loves you both....so much," I whisper as a tear escapes and rolls down my cheek. I put on comfortable shoes and walk through the double doors of my room. I look around and find no one in the halls. I know that Roc and Lyre trade posts to sleep around this time. I walk down the corridors as quietly as I can. I almost reach the back entrance to the gardens when someone's voice stops me.

"Luna? What are you doing out here this early?"

I stiffen and look behind me. It's Roc and he is staring at me with an arched brow.

"Hey Roc. I'm just getting some fresh air in the gardens. I can't sleep I'm afraid?" I say with a small laugh to ease him.

"Oh! I'll go with you," he says as he begins to walk towards me.

"No that's ok. I know you're tired. Go ahead and switch out with Lyre and I'll be up shortly," I tell him.

He regards me for a few moments before nodding and heading to go to his room to sleep. I breathe a sigh of relief and turn to walk towards the laundry lines. I see the staff uniforms hanging and grab a maids dress and apron and a cloak. I throw the night gown and robe off of me as I change into the maid's outfit and put the cloak around my form.

One thing I don't want the Gods to know is that I am royalty and married to Jin. They will come after him just to spite me. Once I am fully dressed and ready, I take one more long look at the castle. I have been coming here my whole life and it is my home. I want to keep it that way in my memory.

Once I know I'm alone and no one else is out here or watching me, I make a run for it through the Dark Forest. There are no guards near the forest, Roc always claimed they were dangerous. I feel completely at ease as I wind my way through trees.

The castle isn't far from the barriers so I can make it before the day breaks. I packed no supplies with me. I won't be needing them anyhow. I find a nearby creek to stop and take a drink of water from. I know exactly where I am and I'm not far from the barriers. At least, I thought I knew where I was. Turns out, it's easy to get lost in the Dark Forest.

As I try to figure myself out, I hear a twig snap close to me followed by several loud growling sounds. I slowly turn around and there behind me, are many bright glowing yellow eyes.

I remain calm. I am not afraid of the creatures of Ember. I am not afraid now. One of the sets of eyes comes forward and I realize it's a large Shadow Dog.

It is standing at its full height as it looks down at me with bared teeth, saliva dripping from its mouth.

I calmly hold my hand out to the creature. It acts as if it might rip my arm clean off my body as it lunges to me. And then, before it reaches my arm, it stops.