Chapter 31: A Chilling Goodbye

Scene 1: A Snowball Fight

The palace garden was a winter wonderland. Snow covered the trees and bushes, creating a serene and beautiful scene. Lyka stood in the middle of the garden, admiring the white landscape, her breath forming small clouds of mist in the cold air. Mira was by her side, marveling at the snow as well.

Mira turned to Lyka, smiling softly.

Mira (softly, with wonder):
"It really is beautiful, isn't it? I've never seen anything like this before."

Lyka smirked, her eyes twinkling with mischief as an idea popped into her head. She bent down, quickly gathering a handful of snow and forming it into a ball.

Without a word, she threw the snowball at Mira, hitting her gently on the shoulder. Mira blinked, completely confused, as she looked down at the snow on her coat.

Mira (confused, raising an eyebrow):
"Hmm... lil sis Lyka, what was that?"

Lyka giggled, her grin widening as she bent down to gather more snow.

Lyka (smirking, teasing):
"It's called a snowball. And what I just did to you is called a snowball fight!"

Before Mira could react, Lyka threw another snowball, this time aiming for Mira's arm. Mira gasped, looking down at the snow now covering her sleeve. Her face twisted into playful determination as she bent down to roll her own snowball.

Mira (grinning, playfully challenging):
"Oh, so that's how it is, huh? Well, two can play at this game, little mage!"

With a laugh, Mira threw her snowball back at Lyka, who dodged it with a giggle. The two began to run around the garden, tossing snowballs at each other, their laughter filling the air. Snow flew in all directions as they played, their cheeks flushed from both the cold and the excitement.

Lyka (laughing, breathless):
"Come on, big sis! You're going to have to do better than that!"

Mira (laughing, determined):
"Just you wait, Lyka! I'm going to win this!"

The garden echoed with their laughter as they chased each other through the snow, their playful rivalry filling the air with warmth despite the cold. For a moment, it was as if nothing else in the world mattered—just the joy of the moment and the fun they were having together.

Scene 2: A Chilly Problem

Later that day, after the snowball fight had worn them out, Lyka made her way inside the palace to check on her parents. She skipped through the halls, still full of energy from the morning's fun. But when she reached the royal chambers, she was surprised to find both King Elric and Queen Alicia lying in bed, looking pale and shivering under thick blankets.

Her smile quickly faded as she rushed to their side.

Lyka (worried, rushing over):
"Mother? Father? What happened?"

King Elric smiled weakly at his daughter, though his voice was strained.

King Elric (weakly, with a small smile):
"Nothing to worry about, my dear. It's just... this cold. We're not used to it."

Queen Alicia, her voice soft, shivered as she spoke.

Queen Alicia (softly, through chattering teeth):
"Your father and I caught a bit of a fever from the cold. But we'll be alright."