Chapter 16: Reunion and Healing

Scene 1: Lyka and Mira's Fun

The golden afternoon sunlight pours through the wide windows of Lyka's chambers, illuminating the soft rugs and delicate curtains. Mira, Lyka's ever-cheerful maid, is sitting on the floor with her, a playful grin on her face as she finishes telling a story from her village. Lyka lies beside her, laughing so hard her sides hurt.

Mira (dramatically, finishing her story):
"And then, the hero, who thought he was the bravest warrior in the village, found himself stuck—upside down—in the middle of the river, tangled in nothing but a fishing net!"

Lyka bursts into laughter, clutching her stomach as she rolls over on the floor, tears of mirth filling her eyes.

Lyka (giggling uncontrollably):
"Mira, that can't be true! He thought the net was a monster?"

Mira nods emphatically, her eyes twinkling with mischief.

Mira (laughing):
"Yes! Can you believe it? He ran around shouting, 'Help! A sea serpent's got me!' while the villagers just watched him flailing about. He's still embarrassed to this day!"

They both laugh, their joyful sounds filling the room. It's one of the first moments Lyka has truly let herself enjoy in a long time. For a few minutes, all her worries are forgotten—she's just a girl, laughing with her friend.

But their fun is interrupted by a sudden, sharp knock at the door.

Head Maid (sternly, from outside):
"Your Highness, may I come in?"

Lyka quickly sits up, still stifling laughter as she wipes away tears. Mira, realizing the head maid has arrived, scrambles to her feet, quickly adopting a more formal posture. Lyka can't help but smile at how fast Mira transforms from playful friend to professional maid.

The door opens, and the head maid, a strict woman with sharp features and an air of authority, steps inside. She pauses when she sees the two of them on the floor, her expression unreadable as her eyes narrow slightly at Mira, who has become far too friendly with the Crown Princess.

Head Maid (raising an eyebrow):
"Your Highness, the King and Queen are waiting for you in the living room. There is an important meeting you must attend."

Lyka nods, still catching her breath from laughing, and stands up to dust herself off. She notices the way the head maid glances at Mira—half disapproving, half curious. Lyka knows that Mira is treated more like a servant by the other maids, but to Lyka, she's become a dear friend.

Lyka (gently, but firmly):
"Thank you. I'll get ready now."

As Lyka turns to dress, the head maid gives Mira a long look, one that speaks volumes about her thoughts on how the maid has become so close to the princess. But Mira only smiles, unbothered, as she steps aside to help Lyka prepare.

Scene 2: Reuniting with Elara

The meeting room in the palace is grand but welcoming, with soft sunlight streaming through the tall windows. King Elric and Queen Alicia are seated at the head of a large table, discussing the day's affairs when a knock at the door signals Lyka's arrival.

As she walks in, adjusting the skirt of her dress, her eyes widen in shock. Elara—her dearest friend from Eldoria—stands with her father, Lord Aldric, across from the King and Queen. The surprise hits both girls at once.