Chapter 36: The Darkness Within

Scene 1: The Picnic

It had been three days since Lyka's confrontation with Alex. Three days since she had tried and failed to save him from the dragon's corruption. Now, she sat in the academy's courtyard, surrounded by her friends—Elara, Auron, and Darius—but her mind was far from the peaceful picnic they were having.

The sun was warm, and a gentle breeze blew through the trees, but Lyka could hardly enjoy it. Her thoughts kept returning to Alex—the pain in his eyes, the monster he had become, and the guilt she felt for not being able to help him.

Elara, who had been laughing with Auron about something, noticed the distant look in Lyka's eyes. She leaned closer, her brow furrowed with concern.

Elara (softly, concerned):
"Lyka, are you okay? You've been awfully quiet."

Auron and Darius both looked at Lyka, their expressions shifting from amusement to concern. They had noticed too, but hadn't said anything until now.

Auron (nodding):
"Yeah, you've been zoning out a lot lately. Is something bothering you?"

Lyka blinked, pulling herself out of her thoughts. She offered a small smile, though it didn't quite reach her eyes.

Lyka (softly):
"I'm fine, really. Just... thinking."

Darius narrowed his eyes, not entirely convinced.

Darius (gently):
"You sure? You know you can tell us if something's wrong. We've been through worse."

Lyka's heart ached at their concern. She wanted to tell them about Alex—about everything that had happened—but she couldn't drag them into this. They had just begun to rebuild their lives after the fall of Eldoria, and she didn't want to burden them with her problems.

She forced herself to smile again, this time with a little more effort.

Lyka (reassuringly):
"Really, I'm fine. It's just... school stuff."

Elara didn't seem entirely convinced, but she nodded, deciding not to press further. Instead, she offered a warm smile, hoping to lighten the mood.

Elara (smiling):
"Alright, but if you ever want to talk, we're here, okay?"

Lyka nodded, grateful for her friends but feeling the weight of the secret she was keeping.

Scene 2: Mira's Investigation

Meanwhile, in the bustling streets of the Valorian market, Mira had been quietly conducting her own investigation. She moved through the crowded marketplace with ease, asking subtle questions to those who seemed to know more about the strange disappearances at night. The rumors had been spreading—people vanishing without a trace, strange creatures seen in the shadows—but no one could give her a clear answer.

Finally, she found a vendor, an older man with graying hair and a weary expression, who seemed to know more than most. Mira approached him carefully, her tone polite but firm.

Mira (quietly, determined):
"I've heard some rumors about people going missing at night. Do you know anything about it?"

The vendor glanced around, as if making sure no one was listening, before leaning in closer to Mira.

Vendor (in a hushed tone):
"I've heard talk of monsters, but no one knows what they really are. Some say it's a dragon, others think it's dark magic. All I know is that people vanish after sundown. You'd best stay indoors when night falls."