Chapter 16

I had spent a month assigned to Liam. The next day after the doe shooting, we hunted again. I still couldn't bring myself to such a murder so I watched the process again. I was taught everything about dressing dears, skinning them and collecting their meat. We repeated this everyday, I observed and I learned. On the seventh day, when I was sure we had run out of deers to hunt, I took my teachings and put them into action. Liam still had to do the dirty deed but I completed it for him.

Hunting wasn't the only thing we spent that month carrying out. He was teaching me how to survive. He taught me how to filter dirty water and urine to restore to drinking quality. He taught me what plants were poisonous and what berries would kill me open consumption. He taught me how to set camp. He taught me how to treat all types of wounds. He taught me how to use the gun on targets as I would have to get over my heroism if I wanted to eat and stay alive when abandoned in a forest. He taught me how to climb a tree the right way and use the view to my advantage. He taught me how to make a fire pit and start a fire without matches. He taught me a lot of things but most importantly he taught me how to handle being alone.

The only time I spent away from Liam and with other people is when I was sent to wash the other members and they washed me. Even then Liam had washed me at one point and I cleaned him as well.

"Wake up" Liam screeched.

I jolted forward in my bed, being taken from my slumber abruptly. I looked up in the dark room at the intruder who held a candle lamp in his hand.

"What the fuck, Liam?!" I hissed back, throwing my pillow at his face and lying back down.

"Oh no you don't"

He rushed over and yanked the blankets off my body. He started hitting my leg and I hit his hand away.

"It's like midnight" I whined.

"No, it's eleven thirty and so technically you're still assigned to me and have to do everything I say. Get up" Liam corrected, not taking 'no' for an answer.

I sat up, running a hand through my messy hair. I rubbed my eyes and yawned before I crawled out of bed. He helped me to my feet and slammed a vest, slacks and worn-in sneakers into my chest.

"Get dressed, I'll be on the porch"

I grumbled after he exited and shut the door. I pulled the pants on over my briefs and the vest over my white pyjama tee. I quickly chucked on the shoes and hurried out of my room and down the corridor. I wondered what could be so important that he had to wake me up for just a half hour.

I clambered out onto the porch. Although it was Spring the air was still as harsh as winter. My arms grew goosebumps and my breath was visible. Liam turned to face me after he heard my rapid hand rubbing to warm my arms up. He laughed and started heading down the steps and into the forest. I reluctantly followed, not paying attention to the time.

Even if the half hour clocked out, I wasn't following him because he was my teacher. I was following him because he was my friend. He was my friend, now.

As we travelled further my ears picked up on something. It sounded like roaring, maybe a bear? No, now it was short and flickering like the flames of a fire. I looked up at the night sky which was clouded with thick, black smoke. My ears had not deceived me nor had my vision as we stepped onto the clearing to find a bonfire inside a circle of heavy rocks. It was so large, so overpowering.

"I'm in charge of disposing of all our waste every month. I pile all the rubbish up until it's time, throw on some logs and light it up. I'm usually alone with my thoughts but tonight, this bonfire is yours" He explained, propping his lamp on a hook embedded in the nearest tree.