Chapter 39

It would be a solstice day. I couldn't tell if it was winter or summer but nonetheless this would be either the longest or shortest day of my life, metaphorically speaking.

I tried to keep my breathing under control as I sat in my navy blue suit, the tie was done up so tight around my sweaty neck I thought I'd choke. I tapped my fingers against the armrest,  foot tapping on the marble floor. I kept looking around the high-ceiling room, sweat dripping down my brow.

"Calm down" Harry murmured, patting my jotting knee.

I grunted, as if what he was demanding was that easy. My documents were shaking in my hands, I wasn't coming back from this.

"You've got a persuasive charm. People meet you for the first time and they instantly like you. I know I did" He grinned.

I glared at him, "This isn't the first time I've met him. Do we need to go over this again?"

"Make him believe it is. Just steer away from Louis Tomlinson the on-call Mafia boy and lean more towards the sweet Mr. Atlas the missionary who's suddenly sparked an interest in politics and aiding the President, yeah?" Harry insisted,  "Probably shouldn't mention One Direction either"

"I'll see what I can do" I, David Atlas, assured him.

The thing about acting the part, is you have to think it too. I was going undercover for at least six months, I had to get crazily involved. I had to become this humble, religious man who lived and preached the good life. A man even the President would respect.

The cream-coloured, gold-knobbed door opened and a woman stepped out. She had a clipboard in her hand and a pen behind her ear which was almost bombarded with her fraying light brown waves of hair. She smiled at us, her eyes matching her hair which was childishly wonderful. She had to be who I thought she was. Only a fool would turn her away if she requested you stay a little longer. It didn't mean I'd forgive Harry though...

"David Atlas" She called.

Harry and I stood up and he walked me over to the woman.

"David, this is Nicola" Harry formally introduced me to her.

"It's good to finally meet you" Nicola beamed. "Vince talks about you all the time"

She outstretched one of her olive-skinned arms and I politely shook her hand. Vince was Harry's alias. Vincent Dakota, the new Presidential secretary with a background I couldn't even remember.

"We're quite close"

"I bet! Unfortunately, though, he isn't allowed to come with you for your interview. This is where we leave him" Nicola explained.

Her tone was so perky. Usually I hated perky girls but there was something about her that was uplifting.

"I'll be waiting here and when you're done we'll take off on the bike, yeah?" Harry informed.

I nodded and he gave me a quick kiss on the cheek before taking root in one of the waiting chairs again. Nicola bobbed her head towards the hallway and so I followed her through the daunting door.

I was so nervous as she shut the door behind us and we started walking down the hallway towards the President's office. What if he saw through my charade? What if he did recognise me even after two years? What if I mess up somehow and ruin Harry's entire plan?

"Louis, are you sure you want to do this?" Nicola asked, all the happiness in her tone was gone.

"What?"

I was startled, why was she using my real name? And why would she ask such a thing?

"I trust Harry more than anyone in the world but I wouldn't trust him on this. I'm worried about you"