Chapter 54

1776.

"The second day of July, 1776, will be the most memorable epoch in the history of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated by succeeding generations as the great anniversary festival. It ought to be commemorated as the day of deliverance, by solemn acts of devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with pomp and parade, with shows, games, sports, guns, bells, bonfires, and illuminations, from one end of this continent to the other, from this time forward forever more"

John Adams was wrong. He wrote the quote in a letter to his wife Abigail in regards to a resolution of independence being approved by the Second Continental Congress to legally separate the thirteen colonies from Great Britain. America was to be free, independent. Yet he was still wrong. The second of July is rarely heard of, overshadowed by its successor the fourth.

240 years ago Benjamin Franklin, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams sat down in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania to sign the Declaration of Independence. They formed the United States of America, abolishing them of the rule of the Great British Empire. The declaration was a formal explanation as to why the vote on the second had been reached, more than a year after it had been proposed mind you.

Adams was wrong in his letter because we don't celebrate the second of July. Nobody has a family reunion on the second. Nobody has a barbecue on the second. Nobody has a picnic on the second. Nobody kisses the love of their life on the second. Nobody participates in parades or watches parades on the second. Nobody attends a baseball game on the second. Nobody, nobody.

We celebrate the Fourth of July because it was official, it was legal on the Fourth of July.

It was the Fourth of July and it was a time of celebration. Whether 1776 or 2019, it was a time of freedom. It was a time to be alive.

So why weren't you?

I wanted to get married on the Fourth of July. Liam thought I was crazy to think Harry would be back in time and I guess he was right.

I never slept, though. It was the reason for my eradicated behaviour and expectations. The bags under my eyes resembled the ones they put on people's heads. I was twitchy and my beard was growing and my knuckles ached and my lips were cracked, dry and I must've stank. I sat on the couch in the rumpus room just watching the television, waiting for a news update, waiting for contact.  I barely got up, it was just for bathroom and coffee breaks. I hated the taste of coffee but I wanted to stay awake. I didn't eat, I didn't sleep, I didn't even blink. I was wasting away.

On the Fourth of July, instead of setting off fireworks or sneaking me off to a bonfire like he usually did, Liam sat with me. He cuddled up next to me on the couch and he made me a hot cocoa and made me eat something and we watched the all-day news.

Numbers began to multiply, Liam had started a trend. When Tara came into the cabin she found us and didn't hesitate to join, curling up on the floor. Maria eventually joined her, playing with Tara's hair as we all sat in silence. Nicholas brought his laptop over and sat in his usual one-seater and silently browsed. Around noon Niall crawled out of his cage and was almost astounded by our little gang but cuddled up right next to us. Liam held his hand.

I wasn't expecting Fetch to come out. They were meant to be privately grieving. After we had told them Harry was still in prison when we returned that night they said nothing. They turned away and retreated to their room, we hadn't heard a word since. So when Fetch came out for food no doubt, with owl like eyes and faded hair to match their fading personality, I was thinking they'd just turn away. Yet upon seeing such a sight of unity they couldn't help but join. They leant on the armchair of the lounge and folded their arms. They didn't say anything but they shared a quick glance with me that said it all.