2

Patrick's POV

It was a few days before we broke up for summer. I was really excited because it was the first time I would be able to meet Pete. I meet Andy at the gates after school. He smiles warmly at me.

"Hey Patrick" He says cheerily as always.

"Hey" I reply, putting in as much effort as it takes to smile at my friend. He pulls me into a hug.

"How are you?" He asks.
"Awful" I tell him truthfully. He knew about Pete. Me and Andy had been friends since we were about six, and now at sixteen he was still my best friend. When I met Pete about four years ago, he listened to my detailed descriptions of our conversations from the previous evening.  

"Come on, we'll go to the river."

After our walk, I was panting. I was really out of breath due to my weight. I flop down on the hard ground next to the river. Somewhere up stream, young children were playing in the water. I smiled softly at their laughter. Andy sat down next to me, getting a can of coke out of his bag, handing it to me. I take it, open it and gulp down half the can before taking it away from my lips. 
"Thanks" I sigh. I look down at my stomach that was coming out from under my shirt a little. I pull the red shirt down to cover the showing skin. I close my eyes, slouching against the tree and sighing. I could feel Andy's eyes watching me but I didn't move. Finally words escape his lips,

"Are you alright Patrick?". I open my eyes and look at him. "You know, if you lost-"~
"Don't you dare fucking start. I know I'm overweight and I'm dealing with it, okay?" I tell him before he can finish his sentence. 

When I got home that night, I had messages from Pete. He had been asking how my day was. He knew about Andy. He knew I often went down to the river with him after school. Pete's school had broken up a few weeks ago. Which meant he had plenty of time to spam me. Just kidding, I liked him being off early. This meant I could talk to him anytime really as he didn't really sleep much. 

Pete: Hey Patrick!

Pete: Hey
Pete: Hey Patrick
Pete: Oh yea. You're probably at the river with Andy, sorry. Message me when you get home okay?

Pete: I hope you're okay

I smiled at the messages. It was sometimes annoying, his constant worrying but times like this it was actually a relief. He cared when nobody else did. He always cared.