20 - Abandoned part of town

Patrick's POV

Flossie and her mum had got takeaway. I wanted to see her again as she was really nice. Pete came over with the food and I force myself to sit up straight-ish. I was still fairly out of breath annoyingly. Pete hands me my food.
"Who was that girl who came over to you?
"Oh, her name was Flossie. She came to ask if I was okay. She was really nice." I tell him, unwrapping the burger.
"She seemed really sweet. She was hugging you?" I nod at him.
"I told her to not end up like me and she called me cuddly"
"Awww" I looked around the room. Some women in fitness gear just entered, going for a run is good but eating fast food afterwards kinda defeats the point. Pete was watching them. I recognized them, they we a couple of years above me and one of them, Casey I think her name was, used to get me oreos and cookies and stuff like that from the canteen when I didn't have food. The rest of them we're just plain annoying.
"Wow" Pete mumbles, I slap his hand.
"I used to know them guys, shut up"
"They're fit though, admit it"
"No! Stop it!" People started looking at us. I wave my hand slowly at them and smile, they turn away, shaking their heads. I leaned forward to Pete.
"Don't do that again alright?" He nods. I hated when people saw women as sex icons, because they are people, not objects to be used by men.

On the way home, we're sitting outside the town hall waiting for me to get my breath back and my dad drives past on his way home from work. Pete runs after his car, shouting and waving his arms madly. He stops the car and reverses to opposite where I was sitting. Luckily, it was a quiet road as it was the part of town that nobody really went to unless they had to after the town council fell apart.
"I didn't see you boys" He tells me, Pete was jogging back towards us. He skids to a stop and helps me up, opening the car door.
"Why are you this far out?"
"We went for a walk and I was just catching my breath" I tell him.
"Patrick, this is quite far out. You have to be careful"
"Dad, you're too overprotective. I have Pete, he knows what to do if anything bad happens." I look at my friend who smiles back at me.
"Patrick, that's not the point!" He yells at me. " What happens when Pete goes home tomorrow? What happens then, eh? You're gonna go back to how you were before, never going out? Pushing yourself too hard is not gonna get you anywhere!" Pete put his hand on my thigh. I was still a little out of breath and I start wheezing as I'm breathing.
"Stop putting it on right now" Dad yells at me, still driving. I wasn't though. I couldn't breathe.
"Dad... stop the car" I choked out, coughing and wheezing. I pat my pockets for my inhaler. Frick. Where was it. No. I'd left it on the steps at the town hall. Dad whacks the breaks on and we jolt forward, my glasses fall onto the floor but Pete grabs them and puts them back on my face. Dad spins around and mutters something.
"Patrick. I'm so sorry." Pete looks at him.
"To the hospital, now." Pete says. Dad just looks at him. "Now!" Pete repeats and dad pulls the car away.

I remember fading in and out of consciousness during the car journey. Pete kept speaking to me but I couldn't hear what he was saying to me. Pete kept opening my mouth to try and get me to breathe but it wasn't working really. He takes a deep breath and plants his lips on mine.