Chapter 26- Conversations

Kriss's POV

It's been two days since that date. Janine and Kaylie told my mom that it was all there fault, that they lied. I tried to butt in, of course I wasn't gonna let them take all the blame. After all, I knew they were lying about this play. Anyway they didn't let me have a chance to take part of the blame.

Mom wasn't mad at them, but told them to not do it again, to next time tell her the truth and bla bla bla...

Of course, after that, Mom spoke to me privately. She kept reminding me of not to forget about my grades, update her on what's happening between us and Pete, and so much more.

Now Janine and I were in Kaylie's house. They wanted to know the details of everything in the date.

"But you can ask him instead," I had told them. "You're part of his plan, right?"

"We did ask him," Kaylie had answered. "But his version was boring. I want to hear yours."

I wanted to tell them that my version was probably just as boring or even more boring but I didn't argue.

I launched into what happened, from the first words that Pete had said to me that night, and the last words I had said to him.

".....and I said "It's the perfect time." Kaylie squealed, Janine smiled. "Then we just sort of walked and talked--

"Like a romantic night stroll!" Kaylie exlaimed.

I rolled my eyes. "Then after some time he walked me to my house and we just said goodnight to each other."

"That's it? No kiss or something?" Kaylie asked suspiciously.

"Kiss?" I laughed. "No, of course not!"

"But we thought Pete was lying about that part!" Janine said.

"He wasn't," I confirmed. "We didn't kiss or anything. That part was kind of awkward, though. After I said goodnight we stared at each other--

"You didn't even hug him?" Kaylie asked.

"No. Anyway, we stared at each other...then we laughed, I don't know why. Then..." I paused.

"Then what?" Janine pressed.

"Well, he sort of...held my hand...said goodnight again, then left."

"He held your hand?!--

"Not really." I said. "It was less than a second, and he was sort of holding my wrist. Anyway, that's all."

"I knew Pete was skipping some part!" Janine said, as if to herself.

"Yeah, but that's not important," Kaylie said brightly. "Kriss and Pete are a couple now!"

I felt heat coming to my face. "Now you don't have to worry about a Prom date! Pete will be your date! And I don't even have one," Janine said, pouting with fake jealousy so good that we laughed.

"C'mon, Janine, there are soo many boys out there! What if Christian will ask you out?" I teased.

She laughed, then blushed. "He's just a friend."

"Yeah right.." Kaylie said, and we talked more about Prom and school. Soon, though, we landed on the topic of Renee.

"I wonder who her date will be?" I wondered.

"Hopefully no one." Janine snorted.

Then we spent hours of coming up of ways to get Renee in trouble again, each getting more absurd than the last. I had so much fun I almost forgot to call Charlie and check on him.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Almost. But not really. I would never forget him. He's my best friend. And even though it was loads fun being with the girls, something still felt missing without him.

He picked up on the first call. "Hey, Kriss. We just attended the funeral yesterday," His voice sounded so sad. I didn't want to mention about the date, it would seem insensitive of me to speak of something like that when Charlie was clearly mourning.

I comforted him and told him that everything will be okay. "Remember, your grandmother will not like you to sulk around."

He sniffed, "Yeah, you're right. Listen...I..I need to go. The will of my gran will be read today, and I need to get ready."

Then he hung up before I could say goodbye. I sighed. I sucked when it came to comforting people. Or maybe he needed some time alone? I sighed again and put it out of my mind.
~*~*~*~*~*

Days came quickly. Pete and I had another date on Saturday, and I had absolutely no idea what to wear. Luckily, Jade and Kaylie came to my house today to give me tips on what to wear. Janine said she was unavailable so Jade came instead. Danielle and Jane both had plans for the day.

"It depends. Is it casual, or formal?" Kaylie asked

I frowned. "Casual, I think. I told him it doesn't have to be fancy, we're just heading to the mall."
~*~*~*~*~*

Half and hour later, I was ready to go, setting for a simple enough dress.

"Are you nervous?" Jade asked.

"I don't know." I admitted. "Somehow not, somehow yes."

"Don't worry, this isn't your first date anyway."

"I still can't believe Pete hadn't asked me to help with the surprise," Jade said, fake pouting. "I was one of his closest friends!"

"Well, you weren't close with Kriss, so you don't know much about what she likes or something," She shrugged reasonably.

"Right. Anyway," Jade said with a teasing smile. "How does it feel being in a relationship?"

Kriss went red. "Uh..."

"Renee must be seething right now!" Kaylie laughed. "Seeing her plan back then fail!"

We all laughed, but I was relieved to have the subject changed. They still haven't ask why Charlie wasn't in school, and it did not feel right to tell them. Charlie might not want it anyway, to have his secret spread out.
~*~*~*~*~*~*

The doorbell soon rang. "I think that's Pete." I smiled. The girls squealed excitedly, I was too nervous to do or say anything.