Chapter 27- The Music Room

Janine's P.O.V.

"Janine!" Kriss said happily. She's been happy ever since the Valentine's surprise. There was rarely a moment when Kriss's face doesn't smile. Whenever I talk to her, she has this look in her eyes as if her days start with a happy beginning or something. I don't know.

"Hey!" I greeted her with a smile.

"Wanna hang at my house? If you're free, I'm mean," She asked.

These days, she also kept inviting me to her house. She seems to want to share her happy mood with someone. But I can't bear it. She has at least invited me three times, this time fourth. I went one time but turned down the others.

"Oh yeah!" I said. "Sure."

"Yay! We'll walk together now? It's already dismissal."

"Sure--" Then I paused. "Oh gosh, sorry Kriss! But I just remembered..." I pretended to put a disappointed look on my face. "Appointment with dentist." I sighed. "I've been really busy these days, Kriss. Mom has been wanting me to help her with the chores," I lied. "Our maid-- she retired." Lie. "And my grades have been slipping lately, I have to study."

She put a hand on my shoulder and have me an understanding smile, one arm around her books.

"It's okay." She flashed me another smile. "Maybe another time. You're busy these days, you know. Well, text you later, Jan." Then she turned and walked away.

I sighed. The truth is, I don't really know....how I feel about Pete and Kriss as a couple. I know, I know...it's so not sensible that I helped Pete for the Valentine's surprise, then now I feel down because of them being a couple. But...I don't know...back then, when Pete asked me to help for the surprise, I did not feel anything. No jealousy. Well..maybe a little. But that's it, a little. The idea of him and Kriss having one date didn't bother me. I thought I was on the road to getting over him.

I was wrong.

After hearing those words that Pete said, I don't know what came over me. It's like those words woke me up. Snapped me back to reality. Suddenly, a jealous feeling came to me, hearing that sentence. I thought it was long gone. I thought...that helping with the Valentine's will help me...get over him.

Then...whenever I see Kriss, the jealous feeling comes back. Then when I see her so happy...I couldn't help it but feel hatred towards her. She knew how I felt about Pete before, and she still said yes? Isn't that like, betraying your best friend? I guess not entirely. Besides, I convinced them that I was over it, and I almost convinced myself too. But all those were gone once Pete said it.

Everyone was beginning to file out. The hallways were getting emptier. Only those who had after class activities stayed.
I had none, but I wanted to stay, in fact, I wanted to stay here forever.

I don't want to come back home, because Mom will only question why I have such a sad mood. I don't want to put up a happy mood by force, I've done it a lot and it's really tiring. So I stayed.

I sat at one of the chair in the cafeteria, studying for some test we'll have next week. Soon, the people selling food was packing their things. I had to go somewhere else.

Standing up, I decided to go to the music room. It's one of my favorite places. Sometimes I play the instruments there.

The school doesn't lock the doors after dismissal. They keep it open all the time, and there's a guard outside to see if anyone has to go in. The hallways are completely dark, though.

I go in the music room, and turned on the lights. This will perhaps make me feel better. Music.

I played the violin, and looked for a music piece to play. The sound of the violin rang through my ears, and I felt comforted for some reason.