Chapter 28

Janine's POV

"Janine!" Someone called out. Kenny. I perfectly know shat he's going to say next. You see, he asked me and Kriss
to come up for a romantic surprise for Kaylie. It's been like a week from Valentines Day, and Kenny still wants this. I guess he really likes Kaylie.

I turn around to face him. "Yeah?" I asked, a little annoyed.

"Kaylie's birthday is coming around. Next week, you know." He told us.

I sighed, "I thought you said you were giving up?"

Kriss cut in. "Bye guys, I gotta go!" Then she turned and fled.

"Anyway, change mind. I'll never give up on Kaylie." He grinned at me when Kriss left.

"Your choice. I have to go."

"Go where?" He asked curiously.

"Not of your business," I snapped.

He backed away. "Gee, sorry! What's with the sudden change of mood?" He smirked.

"Oh, shut up." I said grumpily. I really didn't know why I felt mad, I just did.

Just when he was about to answer someone yelled,"Kenny!"

And I found Pete in front of me, doing the bro gesture thing with Kenny. I stiffened, not knowing whether to greet Pete or just ignore him.

"Hey. What's up?" Kenny said to Pete.

"Nothing. Has either of you seen Kriss? I was supposed to drop by to give her something." He asked, looking at us. I somehow knew he would eventually ask this, I just had the instinct.

"Not really," I answered suddenly. "She left an hour ago telling me she was really busy today. She said not to visit." I shrugged to seem nonchalant.

Kenny rose an eyebrow to me. Pete turned to me. "Oh, really? Okay then...Can you tell her I won't drop by her house anymore?"

I nodded to agree.

"Thanks."

Kenny stayed silent but was giving me the look.

"Anyway, basketball?" Pete invited. He was basically ignoring me now, I thought bitterly.

Kenny looked at me and then back to Pete then to me again.

"Uh...maybe not today, man. Lots to do."

"Aw, you suck." Pete said and turned without saying goodbye.

Once out of earshot, Kenny bombarded me.

"Janine, what was that? What were you saying?"

"What?" I looked up at him, annoyed. "She said she really was busy, you know."

But he wasn't buying it. "Look...I get you're jealous, but if you're trying to break them apart...-

Anger swelled up in me. "What do you think I am? I'm not some jealous bitch who does those, okay?! That's something Renee would do, and I don't do that, Kenny!"

"Janine, open your eyes. What do you call the scheme you did just awhile ago?" He shook his head and walked away.

I stood there, watching him leave. I knew Kenny was both disgusted and disappointed I could do something like that. I don't know why I just did that!

Frustrated, I went home with thoughts swarming my head.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Janine? Can I tell you something?" Kriss asked me through the phone. She sounded anxious.

"What is it?" Half concerned, half nervous, I had a feeling what this was already.

"Pete didn't show up yesterday. Do you think he was...busy? I don't mean to sound so....clingy....but I just wondered if you knew what it meant when a boy doesn't show up for something. I mean, he didn't really promise to come, he just said he would drop by and I said ok. Do you think he forgot? Or he was busy? Or he was just joking when he told me that? What do you think?" She said this all very fast without stopping. I almost got lost. Heart pounding, I answered.

"What do you mean he didn't show up?"

"He didn't. I waited 1 and 30 mins for him."

"Well, why didn't you try calling him?" I asked. Silence on the other end.

"I don't know. I don't want to seem clingy. But I gave up waiting after that.  So what do you think happened to him?"

I pretended to think. "I think he forgot. No big deal, though. He told me he was really busy that day."

"Oh." Kriss said, disappointed that Pete forgot about her. "Do you think I should call him to remind him?"

I stayed silent to pretend. "Hmm...maybe not, if you don't want to seem clingy. But it's your choice if you want to, though."

I knew Kriss too well. She wouldn't call him if I suggested the opposite.

"Okay then, thanks for your help Janine. Bye!" And with that,  she dropped the call.