Chapter 29

Charlie's P.O.V.

"Christian," I called out to him. "Earth to Christian!!" I yelled when he won't look up from his textbook.

"What do you want?" He asked.

"Could you stop burying your eyes in that Math textbook?" I said to him skeptically. "The exam's a week away."

"So?" He replied. "What's the harm of starting early?"

"The harm is you'll have no social life, Christian." I laughed. I snatched the book from him and closed it.

"Oyy!" He sighed. "Ok, Charlie, what exactly do you want?" He rubbed his eyes, exhausted. "I really need to study. The teacher...he said that if I could ace the exam enough, I'll skip a year!"

"Dream on, Christian. Teacher's pulling your leg. Anyways, what's the fun of skipping a year?"

"Look, why don't you just tell me what you came here for, and after that let me study?"

"So are you doing a move on Kriss?" I blurted out.

"What?" He asked, feigning shock. "No, no. Why would I?"

Oh shit. He is planning something. I knew it...the studying too hard thing...he's trying to impress Kriss isn't he?
One thing I despised the most is competing over a girl with you best bud. But game on. Let the best man win, Christian. Let's see who wins her.

"Whatever you sayyy," I grinned at him, covering my hidden agendas. "I'll leave you to your....studying thing now. Good luck on that."
~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I walked heavily on the ground.

How was I ever going to win Kriss over Pete? I thought glumly. The way Kriss described him the other day...it's near to impossible.

I arrived at my house and unlocked the door. I walked in to the living room and heard someone.

"Ahh...Just the guy I was looking for."

Renee sat cross-legged on my sofa, gloating as if she owned the world.

"The hell are you doing here?!" I said. "Did you break in to my house?!"

"Sort of," Renee replied coolly. "Your back door isn't exactly guarded, is it?" She sniggered while facing her head to a direction.

The back door. Widely open. Shit. I must have forgot to close it when I left in a hurry.

"Well, guess what, Renee? I'm sick of your games. Get out."

She batted her eyelashes. "Aww...I'm guessing you heard all about the news of Kriss and Pete, huh?"

"I know you're as annoyed as I am about that," Charlie shot back coolly. He wasn't going to let his moodiness show. "No big deal. Now get out."

Renee suddenly stood and gave me an all-serious look.

"Let's cut to the chase. You got the point, Charlie. I'm as annoyed as you are. Angry, even. So why don't we--

"Oh, shut up. I know what you're going to say. And I'm answering in advance. No, sorry, I don't like to team up with you again."

"Hear me out first, won't you? Look, I--

"I said I'm not interested! Please, Renee, you think I need your help?"

"Well duh. You're completely useless without me." She shot me a look of smug.

"Oh, yeah? Well you're wrong, cause ever since I left I've been thinking of a plan. In fact, I have a whole solution in my mind now. I don't need your help, Renee."