A Choice To Be Made

Eve headed to the river and passed over the bridge. She headed home, a bit fazed over the situation with Tom and the strange man.

The whole walk she thought about her encounter with that man, or if even there was a man and it was not an object of her imagination. Maybe he was one of those wood spirits that the villagers always told tales about. But he did look like he could easily be one of those Rangers from the North, but what would he being doing so far from home? In Broadacres of all places?

Eve's mind began to race. What if the packs of orcs were straying near the Gap of Rohan? What if the border's already scarce security had been compromised? What if Broadacres was in danger? There would be no one to defend it. Thoughts of Tom and her engagement was pushed aside. Eve had to get to the bottom of this.

Unfortunately, Eve was no detective. And even if she was, there was no way she could have escaped her mother's intense lecturing.

Gwyndolyn was very unhappy with her daughter and her actions lately. And, as punishment, she set her daughter on taming the stubborn ivy that plagued their garden. The stern woman would not listen to a single word that Eve had to say about invasion or attack. She just sent Eve on her way as she protested incessantly, threatening her with the belt if she attempted to bolt again.

The task took the better part of the day to complete. After the chore was done, she sat on the porch, wiping the stinging sweat out of her eyes. In doing so, she smeared dirt across her forehead, giving her an even more grimy and tired appearance.

As she watched the sunset, Eve felt the unsettling sensation of someone watching her. She peered across the dirt road at the village's tavern, The Rampant Vine. Tables were set up in front of it and the rowdy evening noises were drifting like dust clouds to Eve's feet.

A cloaked man sat out at the tables set out, rather than inside where the crowds always were. He sat, isolated, as he smoked his pipe. He was facing Eve's direction and though she could not see his face, Eve was certain he was looking at her. 

Another Ranger? she wondered to herself. The thoughts that her fatigue had chased out of her head returned. She found herself worrying about Broadacres again, and primarily the safety of her mother.

But why did these Rangers seem so fixated on Eve? Why were they not patrolling the borders? Shouldn't they be elsewhere, somewhere more important? More questions whirled around Eve's head. They only stopped when Gwyndolyn called Eve in for supper.

"Set the table, would you?" Gwyndolyn requested.

Eve did as her mother commanded, retrieving the two wooden plates and mugs from their barren cabinet. A pitcher of water was set on the table as well as a dish of peas swimming in butter. Tender, juicy, steaming rabbit meat was set out as a delectable accompaniment.

Eve's mouth watered as she beheld the sight. This was the best meal she had had in two months.

The little family was very poor, even for people of the Outer End. They were lucky if they could scrounge up a meal every day. But today seemed to be an exception, whether it be because Gwyndolyn was trying to make things up to Eve because of her harsh announcement or they just got lucky, Eve did not know.

Her mother did mending for widowers and returned soldiers as her work, which was not a popular business. Their cottage was one room, with a dirt floor, table, wooden bed with a straw mattress, a single cupboard, and a makeshift fireplace in the corner. Whatever extra money Gwyndolyn got, she pushed towards Eve's well-being, saving none for herself. It was bothersome to Eve, but Gwyn only wanted the best for her daughter, even if Eve herself did not realize.