Broken Pieces

Lessien sat down, glad to be rid of consciousness. The roses around her seemed still attractive, yet her heart was still heavy. "Mother? Mother?" Lessien called, but no reply came. She thought hard of her mother and her blue eyes. She knew that her mother could hear her but Lessien had the feeling that her mother was blocking her out.

Maybe it was for the better after the way Lessien treated her.

In her lonely state, she sat on the bench in her precious gazebo and put her head in her hands. Then for the first time in a very long time she felt some rebel tears run down her cheeks, for a reason she could not quite comprehend. Her heart felt broken and she felt very lonely. It was what Boromir had said. She had never had a true home. What could have happened if she had grown up in Rivendell with her mother and father? How much better could her life have been?

Among these men she had to gain her common sense and she could not be emotional. She had to prove them wrong about her. Even her father had his doubts, no one could really know about these feelings of doubt. Sam, her one true comforter and friend, had troubles of his own she knew. Sensing that he had a larger heartache then her own obscure one, she decided to enter his dreams. It had worked for her mother, might it work for her?

Her red rose garden fell into darkness and Sam's dreams replaced hers. 

Frodo stood in front of her, still fingering the Ring, and then Sam appeared beside him. "Master Frodo, I'll be here by your side the whole way to Mordor, the whole way through," he asured his friend.

"Oh, Sam. But no one really needs you. You're just extra large weight for us to drag along, Merry and Pippin are even more help than you are, you daft child! Never clever, are you?" Frodo replied, a surprising malice in his voice.

Boromir appeared and he looked disgusted at Sam, "Even Merry and Pippin know how to sword fight, you're unteachable, you lag behind like the scum you are! Filthy!"

Boromir again vanished and was replaced by Aragorn looking at Sam with disappointment in his eyes. "We might as well kill you now, for you might be the death of us in the end. Lord Elrond only let you come to get you out of his palace. Pathetic, you really are."

Lessien was surprised to see another version of herself in front of Sam, her eyes red and snake-like. "Your only friend? Ha! You have friends? That Rosie you spoke of will never love you! NEVER! Stupid hobbit, you will never have a true place in this world, no one needs you. For you to assume as much, well, I wonder where such imagination comes from?" 

Samwise was weeping, a multitude of tears streaming down his face.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" Sam yelled through tears.

"No! Sam, don't listen to her! Don't listen to me! It's a dream, Sam." But her words were muted, even to her own ears, and the dream was sucked away.

Lessien lay on the floor of her garden, the visit shaving sucked a lot of energy from her weary mind. All her self-pity had vanished but her heart-ache for Sam had magnified. His consciousness was burdened with much and Lessien felt foolish for feeling so sad. 

Yet, Sam was strong she knew, for Lessien felt exhausted from the effort to penetrate to his mind.

Despite her exhaustion, Lessien decided to awaken, for something urged her to do so. 

When she got up, she saw the dying embers of the used-to-be-golden fire  in the middle of the company. Thirsty, she looked through her bag for her canteen but instead came across a book. Books, were very rare and precious to Lessien. The elven symbol for family was on the front, and on the inside of the leather-bound object was some Elvish writing. She sensed that it was her mother's work, a message even, but Lessien decided to not decipher it.

After what felt like hours, Lessien tossed aside the book, not even have opened it. For what reason should she have it anyway? She was scared of its contents. The thought of Arwen wqs more prominent in her mind than she anticipated so she did not want to read anything she had to say.

Drat it all! She thought angrily.

Her thought was interrupted by a whimpering and there she saw Sam sleeping, not at all in peace, "I'm sorry, so sorry," he muttered. 

Lessien patted him on the back before examining the rest of the Fellowship. Gandalf lay with his eyes open, and he was muttering something, still asleep. Legolas lay back also, in a meditating state, and Boromir was sleeping soundlessly on his side. Pippin, Merry, and Gimli were snoring away, and a smile spread widely across Lessien's face. 

The hobbits and dwarf were amusing even in their sleep. 

Aragorn lay sleeping, a slight smile on his face, but Frodo lay awake muttering quietly to himself while fingering his Ring.

"Precious, I will never let anyone take you, don't you worry. Never. I'll slit their throat, I WILL!" He whispered horsely. Frodo's dark head turned toward Lessien and she lay down immediately. "Even eavesdroppers who mean no harm will never ever get it and they will die too." The evil, fowl mutterings terrified Lessien, Frodo always seemed nice and harmless. 

Then, Lessien heard Frodo's body wrack with sobs at how afraid he was.

Lessien wanted to comfort him but she stayed laying wide awake.

Sam was right, something was terribly wrong with Frodo but hope still remained and a long journey still lay ahead. All was as well as it could be, or it would be. 

Sleep eventually overcame Lessien, but her body was still tense and her hand was gripping a small dagger near her chest.