Arriving At Rivendell

The company of five moved on to Rivendell.

Lessien glared at her father's back as they traveled, hoping to somehow pierce holes in him. Why would he not tell her who this mystery woman wnas? It had been so long since she had heard the story of her birth and of her mother and father's secret wedding.

This being said, deep down, Lessien felt her stomach lurch. She knew who the woman was but there was no time. No time to think about it. Even though her heart was hardened and her stomach turned, she could not help but smile at Merry and Pippin's witty, humorous comments.

It was the morning after the attack on Weather Top when Pippin slowed and began to pull out his pack. The other hobbits stopped and still managed to be joyous as they followed his lead.

"Gentlemen! We do not stop until nightfall!" Strider called when Lessien caught his attention and showed him what they were up to.

"What about breakfast?" Pippin asked, a crestfallen look on his face.

"You have already had it," Strider replied.

"We've had one, yes, but what about second breakfast?"

Strider just shook his head and kept walking up the hill in from of them while Lessien followed his lead.

"What about elevensies? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Supper? Dinner? He knows about them, doesn't he?" Pippin questioned desperately.

Merry clapped Pippin on the shoulder. "I wouldn't count on it, Pip," he said sadly.

As Merry said this, a red apple came flying over the hill and Pippin caught it, his expression betraying the tragedy he felt. It was all too much for Lessien and she broke into a hearty laugh.

"What's so funny, Larahliea?" Pippin asked.

"I am just saying that you should expect no more than a breakfast and a dinner on this trip," Lessien replied, still giggling.

"From eleven meals a day to two, I don't think I can manage it, miss," Merry complained, doubt in his voice as he tugged on her sleeve.

"How about you, Master Samwise?" Lessien inquired, noticing how quiet and lonely he looked at the back of the group.

"I'll be okay, I only wish Mr. Frodo could be here," Samwise replied glumly.

"Your Master is in good hands. You will see him sooner than you know," Lessien assured her.

The friends' conversation continued throughout the journey.

When they arrived at Rivendell, the view that they beheld was breathtaking. Mighty rivers ran and rushed everywhere, huge and majestic, seeming to call to Lessien. The fortress topped it all off, seeming smartly and elegantly erected, the white starkly standing out against the deep blue rivers and rich green of the foliage. The sound of rushing water filled everyone's ears, an instrument-like harmony to Lessien.

Lessien was so drawn to the place that she felt that she could just envelope it all. Samwise was almost, if not more, mesmerized than Lessien. The two gaped at every detail and pointed them out to one another.

"You see that tower over there?" he asked Lessien and she saw the single tower that rose much higher than the rest of the township.

"Yes?"

"One day, I want to take a girl there and ask her to marry me as we look down at the river," he replied dreamily.

"And who might that girl be?" Lessien asked, wondering if he had anyone at the Shire in mind.