To Speak of Home

The trek so far had been easy-going. Everyone was enduring it surprisingly well, all except for the two hobbits, Merry and Pippin. "Our feet our sore! Strider, shouldn't the company have a talk about the meals of the day. We are in strange circumstances after all. We can figure something out I'm sure. Don't forget about elevensies! Tea is my favorite though and supper."

"My dear hobbit, I am afraid the rations you will be receiving are nothing near to the amount you are accustomed to," Boromir replied. "Besides, you shouldn't waste your time eating and getting fat. You should spend your time sword fighting and training for battle!" he called triumphantly, clearly joking.

Lessien raised her eyebrows over Boromir's jest and decided that she hoped he and the rest would all get over their resentment for her. They seemed kind. Well, she already knew the hobbits didn't despise her. It was just Boromir who remained with an apparent hardened heart against her. She would be with the Fellowship for a long time and silly rivalries were counterproductive within a company.

With this in mind, she caught up with Boromir. 

"I'm Lessien, as you already know," she abruptly stated. "You know my name and have apparently already seemed to have developed an opinion on my character. Despite this, I do not believe we have been properly acquainted before. Perhaps if we are, you're distaste for me will subside." She spoke to him with a boldness that Boromir wasn't used to, not in men, and much less in women. Her tone seemed a little annoyed but her manner kept things informal and relaxed. Altogether, Lessien set up an odd atmosphere.

"I am Boromir, son of the Steward of Gondor," Boromir introduced gruffly. "What may I do to aid you?"

"Nothing, I just thought it would be nice if we got to know one another," Lessien replied defensively. A faulty smile spread across her face. She was used to appearing to like someone she clearly disliked. However, she still managed to make her complaints known, even if it was discretely.

"Really? It would seemed to me up until this point that you are far too quiet to make such a bold approach," he said sarcastically, acting surprised.

So that's how they were going to work.

"I don't think it is such a surprise," Lessien countered aggressively.

"Ah." Boromir glanced awkwardly to the side.

"What is the great city Gondor like?" Lessien cut off eye contact and looked away as soon as her question was stiffly placed between them.

"Gondor? Ah, it has been a few months since I have laid eyes on my beloved city. Of course I remember it, though. It is not the famous architecture that make me call Gondor home, it is the people. Women and their families are so used to having their fathers taken as soldiers that most forget that they ever had one. The women grieve in silence over their husbands who are risking their lives, all the while taking care of their children and elderly, who are very merry. Love runs through the streets. It is not known well but I believe Minas Tirith is run by women," Boromir shared.

Lessien raised her eyebrows. What Boromir was saying was unexpected, to say the least. How was he lowering his guard so fast? Was he mocking her?

She didn't know it, but Boromir really was a kind man with a big heart and didn't resent her as much as she thought he did.

Lessien looked at him and smiled a certain smile. "When people speak of their home, it seems that they go to another world, and everyone seems to describe it a different way."

"Tell me, what of your home?" Boromir asked in response.

"Unfortunately, I don't have a home as precious to me as Gondor is to you. I lived on the outskirts of Rohan when I was very young but I do not remember it well. There was a river there and a scarce forest of willow trees. As soon as you went away from the river it began to turn back into the original dry terrain. No one ever bothered me there. No one could touch me it seemed. It was my playground while I was a child. I don't think I can fully describe it to you, for it has been too long since I myself have seen it," Lessien finished.