The Urak-Hai Attack

They kept rowing on, coming to a great sight. 

It was Argonath. The huge statues stood on the sides of the great river and at the mid-point of Nen Hithoel. They were supposed to have resembled Isildur and Anárion. 

It wasn't only Lessien's breath caught in her chest at the sight, the rest of the Fellowship was also astounded. 

Boromir and Aragorn for different reasons. 

Boromir because these Pillars of Kings marked the entrance to Gondor, his homeland. 

Aragorn because of the reminder of what he was burdened with, the relinquishment of his birthright. 

Lessien couldn't quite comprehend the fact that she was one of Isildur's descendants.

Everyone acted quite solemn at the sight, as if it was a holy place they traveled. 

Lessien felt glad, for they were halfway through the quest. They would reach the end soon.

Looking over at Aragorn, she saw the same somber look on his face that seemed to be plastered there. Despite this, a tiny smile remained on her own. 

Pippin seemed to be taking everything in, completely awestruck. The rest of the group was silent at the sight.

Though Lessien's arms were tired and her legs cramped from being without movement for long, she could feel the peace in the moment. 

"Aragorn, how much further until we arrive?" she asked.

"Forty miles or so. We must rest on the riverbed tonight," Aragorn replied. 

His answer made Lessien skeptical. "We should retire now," Lessien suggested, observing the sun lounging huge on the horizon. Navigating water without the aid of daylight wasn't feasible compared to when the Fellowship had trekked through the desert under the moon.

Aragorn nodded his approval and slowly the boats made their way to the shore.

-

Gimli hovered over golden embers, trying desperately to keep them alive and laughing. Trees danced like dark shadows. Waves could be heard crashing as a quiet thunder onto the bank. The sky was black velvet sprinkled with shining crushed crystals. 

Most of the Fellowship was grateful to be off the water and to be able to regain their balance. Firm, that's what they prefered. Steady ground that they could run away on if needs be. The water offered no cover.

Lessien felt herself unwind. Leaning back on her arms, she stared out into the night. Moonlight and starlight alike gleamed on the water. The river was a mirror that twisted things to be the way one wished them to be. 

She was weary. She hadn't had proper rest since the Mines. There, Gandalf had forbidden her to dream. In Lothlorien, Galadriel showed her visions and memories all through the the night. As a result, Lessien hadn't had a single moment to meditate of her own accord, walking peacefully through her rose Dreamworld as she wished to.

Lessien was dozing but, again, her dreams were out of her control.

That meant an evil presence was nearby.

Light eyes in dark places, the light eyes belonged to dark beings. The haunting raspy voice that sang the song in Moria returned to her dreams. It chanted the same song.

"The child unwanted," it began.

The line embedded in Lessien's mind. That child was her. She was the unwanted.

A bigger danger, a larger threat, was brought through this creature that sang this prophecy. This demon would cause misfortune and death to befall the Fellowship.