Reasons

Everything happens for a reason? I didn't understand that saying. Maybe life just hated me, thought that I deserved to suffer.

If everything happens for a reason then why did my mother die during child birth? Why did my father leave me alone when I was just six years old? He was an alcoholic and an asshole but it didn't mean he had the right to abandon me.

Why did my gradmother die only two years after she had taken me in? She wasn't the healthiest old woman but she still would have had at least five more years before I showed up and she died of a stroke.

Why did my Aunt Julie die six months after taking me in? Sure she was a smoker and a drinker but other wise healthy. Apparently an anurism wasn't found and it killed her.

Why did Aunt Sandy die after three years of taking me in? She was as fit as a fidle. They ruled it out as Adult SIDS.. I didn't know that existed to be honest but alright. I wasn't sure if they were just telling me that and didn't want to tell me the real reason or if it was a real thing but either way, it hurt every time.

Uncle Bob was the longest to survive me, he lasted four and a half years before finally he too was cursed. Sometimes, I wish he was quick like Aunt Julie, I always hated him. He had a heart attack and it wasn't shocking either, he had a heart attack before and got lucky to survive it. He had also experienced three strokes in his life, two of which was while I was in his care.

Now, I trudge up the front porch of my cousin's house. He's the only one in this family willing to let me stay, he doesn't believe I am cursed like everyone else seems to think I am. He's not afraid of me, or the curse I'm bringing into his home.

I pull the black hood off my head and adjust the side bag on my shoulder. It was heavy and it didn't even have a lot stuff in it. Finally, I pressed the door bell.

I see Ronnie at the funerals and the odd occassion like Christmas but other than that, we're pretty much strangers. I knew he had a girlfriend and I knew he was like twenty three so maybe he'd get lucky and not die.

Or he might accidentally blow his car up or trip over and crack his skull open. Fear started gripping me now and I realised I couldn't do that to anyone else. I turn and start to head down the stairs but the door opens.

'Sonny?' I turn slowly to the small femanine voice.

'I'm sorry, this is a bad idea, I shouldn't be here, you guys are too young' I ramble on.

'What the hell are you talking about?' she giggles. 'Come on in, no one is going to die'

I didn't know what to do. I was conflicted between winging it and having a place to crash or potentially saving someone's life and runnning. With a sigh, I head back up the stairs.

Maybe I could stay for a little while, get a job and save up some money to get out of here, I had just turned seventeen last week so I was stuck here for atleast a year before I can legally live on my own.

'I'm Jess by the way' She tells me.

'Where is my cousin?' I ask. The place was nice, much more modern compared the old style houses I've grown up with. Everything was pretty much new and it actually felt like a home.

The living area had a large six seater modular sofa, two matching recliner chairs, a large 60" flat screen on top of a nice varnished TV unit. The place is open planned, a large six seater kitchen table, a nice big kitchen, I was excited to get in there and cook.

'He's gone to pick up his friend' She rolls her eyes. This must be a reoccuring thing. 'Don't worry, he crashes on the couch every so often, not in a real good place right now not since his...' she stops talking like she's said too much and clears her throat.