Honesty

My neck was stiff. I crack an eye open and realise I must have fallen asleep on the couch. The blanket was over me and as I stretched, my feet hit something so I freeze.

I look down and see Riley asleep on the couch too. I check the clock on the wall and see it's almost eight in the morning. I frown but I get a little comfortable and drift back off to sleep.

'Holy shit' I hear Riley groan. I groan in response and bury my head into the couch some more. 'Sonny, wake up'

'No' I groan again, I didn't want to wake up. This was the best sleep I've had in forever, I hadn't woken up screaming and I don't know why. I didn't care either.

'Sonny, my feet are trapped' Riley tells me making me suddenly aware of something between my calves. Again, I froze for a minute before I jumped from the couch. I say jump but really, I mean fell from the couch, taking the blanket and Riley with me.

'Shit' I groan. 'Sorry' I tell Riley. Once we're both untangled from the blanket, we get up. The clock now read ten in the morning. 'Wow' i breathe.

'Yeah' Riley frowns.

'I haven't slept that long since i took a sleeping pill' I confess.

'Me either' Riley sounded a little distant.

'Coffee?' Ronnie comes out holding two mugs. A knowing smile on his face.

'Ready babe?' Jess asks coming down the stairs. 'Morning guys, sleep well?' She smiles at us as we take a mug from her boyfriend.

'Actually yes' I answer while Riley glares at her. I frown at the glare, completely clueless about anything right now.

'Well that's good, we have to run but we'll be back in like an hour' she says.

I nod my head and sip my coffee. Ronnie and Jess leave with a good bye and once again Riley and I are left alone. 'I think I'm going to go shower' I say. Riley mutely nods and i head upstairs with my coffee. I grab some clothes and head for the bathroom, taking my coffee with me.

When I got out, Riley was gone. I frown but otherwise, shrug it off. Maybe something came up. I decide to finish up out the back. I had the weeding done but otherwise I just needed to tidy a little so I cleaned it all up and once that was done, I decided to go back inside and find something to do.

I put a load of washing on and then when I still had nothing else to do, I grabbed a book and set myself up on the couch with it.

Jess and Ronnie ended up being like three hours but they were fairly happy when they arrived. Until they realised that Riley wasn't here 'Should have known that would have happened' Ronnie scoffs. 'I'll go talk to him'

Jess nods and after a brief kiss, Ronnie leaves. I ignore the curiosity and turn back to my book. 'Riley's just a bit freaked out' Jess decides to tell me anyway.

'Why would he be freaked out?' I frown.

'Because last night was the first night neither of you woke up screaming, slept right through the night' She tells me.

'So? We had a big day yesterday, I'm sure we were both exhausted' I shrug.

'I think it's more than that' Jess says. I put my book down and sit up. She takes a seat and says 'I think that maybe you're each other's cure'

'Jess, neither of us are remotely ready for a relationship like you guys have been pushing. He's still hung up on Kayla and probably always will be and I'm just fucked up full stop'

'We're not trying to force a relationship Sonny' she smiles sadly 'We're trying to get you both to realise that you need one another'

'Jess' I sigh 'I see your concern and I understand but you need to let this go. We're friends.. I think but that's not the point, there has to be trust and honesty and shit and I don't even know how to trust. We're not ready for this'