Scared

I wasn't sure what time it was but my eyes flutter open and it was dark. I wait for my eyes to adjust before I look at the time, I see it's two am. I look around the room and I see someone leaning against the window, their back to me.

I gasp as my heart picks up speed and panic sets in. They turn around 'Shh, it's just me' I sigh in relief at Riley's voice.

When my heart slows down, I find my voice 'What are you doing here?'

'You said you didn't have nightmares when I was here' he says. I flick the lamp on and see him more clearly. He looks exhausted.

'You need sleep too Riley' I tell him 'I'll be ok'

'No you won't' he scoffs. 'You would have had another nightmare to invade your dreams after tonight'

'Riley, go back down and go to sleep' I tell him. I didn't care about the nightmares.

'I can't do that' he sighs 'I can't go to sleep knowing you will be waking up screaming. I've given up on trying to keep my distance, it won't work for either of us'

'Riley, you need to be more forward than that, I don't understand'

'I will always love Kayla, no one could replace that but it's obvious that we need one another, we both sleep better at night and I can't stop the worry knowing that everynight you go to sleep, you'll wake up screaming'

I understood what he was saying but I wasn't sure what we were really doing. 'So you're just going to hang out here everynight and make sure I don't have nightmares?'

'Pretty much' he nods. I shake my head.

'Riley that's a stupid idea' I frown 'You know three days without sleep will start fucking with your head and you will die soon after' I point out.

'Where the hell do you get this shit from?' he asks in amazement.

'Google' I shrug. 'You don't think I haven't tried to stay awake?'

'I guess you have a point' he nods sadly. 'Maybe I can sleep on the floor?'

'That won't work for you' I sigh. He still screamed when I was in the loungeroom, it's when we were on the couch that it was a good sleep. 'I trust you won't try anything, sleep in the bed' I couldn't believe I was actually saying this.

'What?' I guess he couldn't either.

'I think we both realise that we need each other, I let you hold me tonight Riley and I didn't run away or flinch'

'I wasn't sure you realised what happened' he says softly.

'I didn't until we were in the car but while it still scares me that you of all people can do that, I didn't want to pull away'

We stare at each other for a while before he sighs 'Ok' he nods. I smile and lay back down while he pulls his shirt over his head and gets out of his jeans. I freaked out a little at his little clothing but I guess he had to sleep comfortably so once he climbed into bed, I flicked the lamp off.

The next few nights went on like this. Riley would wait for me to go to sleep before he came in to bed and I agreed he could sleep in my bed. I trusted he wouldn't do anything to me and we both woke up refreshed.

I don't know what we would do the next time he freaked out or if I freaked out but either way, right now, we were having dreamless sleeps. Well, I was dreaming about those ambar eyes and a large black dog, could have been a wolf though.

I always forgot about the dog soon after waking but those eyes were always in the back of my head.

'You ok?' Ronnie asks. I look up from my coffee and see him frowning at me.