Television Set

Matty lost consciousness for a few days. All his band mates were at his bedside the whole time. They thought they lost him until one day his body shook and he awoke.
"AVA! BABE! AVA!!!"
"Matty, you're alive!" George grinned from ear to ear and walked closer with everyone else.
"Where the fuck is, Ava?! What happened?"
"Calm down and.. I'll tell you..." Matty nodded in agreement trying to control himself.
"It was raining hard and.. there was this guy who... he didn't see that you had your hazard lights on the side of the road. He rammed into the car. Ava was hit because she was in the back seat and she died from the impact and blood loss from all the glass... I'm sorry."
Matty erupted into tears and fell apart as he looked around at his bruised body.
"She--she was trying to get clean. She promised. I was driving her to rehab... she..."
"I'm sorry---"
George held Matty close as tears streamed down his face.
"It's all my fault....."
"No. No. It's not. Matty, you tried helping her. Ok? And that's a good thing. Just things happen and it's life...We're sorry we came in the way... I am for what I said and.."
"Don't be. I know you wanted to make sure I was ok. After this. I'll never be ok."
His tears were nonstop as George held him. The others left the room so George could get through to Matty. He always had this way of calming him down and diffusing situations like this when Matty was on the verge of a meltdown.

"Hey, listen to me. Shit happens. I can't tell you why she was killed but believe me when I say it all happens for a reason. I know it sounds cruel but she's in a better place. Away from the shithole we live in. Maybe like her soul found her father and she's living a clean death and they're making amends or something where her bitch mom can't interrupt."
Matty processed what George said and giggled a bit. The thought of Ava and her dad getting along and reconnecting was enough to make him feel better. He lost her but maybe her father finally gained her. The Ava he knew before the addiction. The one that would play football with him outside in their backyard and go fishing him. The adorable, goofy tomboy that blossomed into a beautiful woman that Matty fell in love with before life corrupted the both of them. If their was an afterlife he vowed to make Ava proud of him. She always supported his music career always sitting there in the front row as they played their cheesy covers. If they sucked or not was something she never let him know. She proudly wore their shirts and sang along, holding on to every word.
George was right. It was a fact that Matty grinned at every single night while singing songs inspired by Ava. He closed his eyes before the next song.. thinking about her. The way she smelled, her pouty lips and that time they got so rowdy she turned on the T.V. thinking it would drown their sounds out. It didn't but he preferred the idea of a simple television set drowning out young love being expressed in bed. And then he started....