Chapter twenty-three

Nikolaos' PoV

As we drive to her grandma's house I silently steal glances at her. She seems silent but I shrug it off. I don't know what is happening with me. Three days ago I wanted to kill her. So why am I acting like that.

As we come near her hometown I see her straighten up and already know the reason. She hops out of the car excitedly, when I turn into her driveway. I chuckle and let her lead. She looks back at me and I smile at her. She smiles back at me and turns back around. She already knocked when I stand beside her.

Should I do it? Fuck it, I bite my lip as I put my right hand on her lower back. I feel her stiffen and was about to remove my hand when she looked at me. To my surprise she smiles and I instantly feel relieved. I smile down at her as the doors open. Here we go.

"Oh my. Lucy! And Niki! Come in!" Nana says excitedly and pulls Lucia in a hug. I smile at the moment. Nana lets go of Lucia and pulls me into a hug. I kiss her cheek and chuckle. She leads us to the living room.

"I was about to make dinner. Come on kids, sit down." She tells us and we do. I'm sitting next to Lucia while nana is sitting in front of us. I smile at her as she starts smalltalk. I notice how easy they both chat with each other. Nana tells her how I lived here and I look at Lucia's reaction. She seems surprised and I let out a breath. Somehow I pictured her throwing a tantrum.

After a while she stands up and goes upstairs, without even looking at me. Wow, why would I want her to look at me.
"I see you are not mad at her for leaving you." I hear her nana say.
"What makes you say that?" I ask politely and she laughs.
"Come on, young man. Help me with the food." She changes the topic and I sigh but stand up, following her to the kitchen.

I see pans on the cooker and something in the oven. I smile at the scent of homemade food. Ever since I first stepped into this house I feel a sudden warmth. Just like I'm home. I shake my head at my thoughts and help her with the mashed potatoes.

"You grew into such a handsome young gentleman. I'm so proud of you. You know you, Leonard and Sean were like my own grandsons. You were always at my place when your parents had business, which was almost every day. I raised you guys until you moved away. My heart ached at this." She tells me. I didn't know we were that close and I can't remember her. Well I was barely two, no wonder.

"I bet I smiled way more often here than I did since we moved." I tell her and she looks up at me.
"What do you mean? Didn't they feed you?" She asks and I laugh.
"No, the food was fine. It's just the strict business." I shrug as I set the plates on the table.
"Oh, you can always come here if the business gets too much. Yes. Oh! Call your friends. I want them to pack your things and come to us. You'll sleep here for the time being." She says excitedly.

"Nana, nana. Okay, I'll call them. I'll be right back." I say and kiss her cheek before leaving the kitchen. I step into the hallway and call the guys.
"Yow, how is it? Did you bang her in her old room?" Leonard picks up.
"Shut up. I told you I don't like her. I just need her to find the fucking file, then she's gone." I snap. I know it is only half true but he's annoying. I hear him laugh and sigh. Whatever.

"Listen to me. I want you guys to pack our things, plus miss Brooke's. We are staying at her grandparent's house for the time we're here. I pick you up in one hour." I say and hang up. I go back into the kitchen, enjoying nana at the cooker.

Lucia's PoV

"Pops, how are you?" I say the second I step into his room. He smiles up at me when I approach him. I kiss his cheek and open the window. I sit back down in front of him. He's laying on the bed and is currently watching tv.
He turns the volume on mute and looks at me.

"I'm doing great. How about you?" He asks. I smile and we smalltalk. I tell him about Darmetir and the partnership. His eyes widen and at the end of my speech his mouth hangs wide open. I chuckle at his face.

"I want to meet these guys before they sleep here." He says and with his tone I know there is no place for disobeying.
"Alright, I'll send them to you when they're here." I nod.
"Right, but for now go down and be a great host. Help your grandma with the dinner." He says and I smile at him and kiss his cheek.

As I'm at the top of the stairs when I hear Darmetir's voice.
"-up. I told you I don't like her. I just need her to find the fucking file, then she's gone." I ignore the feeling in my chest. I knew it. I shouldn't get too attached to him. It's all about the business. And right now I'm business.

"Listen to me. I want you guys to pack our things, plus miss Brooke's. We are staying at her grandparent's house for the time we're here. I pick you up in one hour." I shake my head and hear him leave the hallway. With a smile I walk into the kitchen. They both look at me and smile. I kiss nana's check and help with the dishes.

"So, what's for dinner?" I ask.