Chapter Twenty-Five: Revealed

"Mitsuo, we want to know what was up with my dad," (O/Y/N) demanded.

Mitsuo gave her a look, then went back to scrubbing his dagger blade. "Why?" he asked, his tone uninterested.

"You know my brother? He might not be dead!" Hiro blurted, his brown eyes wide.

Mitsuo sighed and set the dagger on a little stand, then sat down on the sofa across from you and your friends. "It's a long story."

"Then tell," you said. "We came here for the long story."

Mitsuo sent the attendants waiting by the door away. "I would like this to be private," he said, then turned back to you. His dark eyes stared at you with a hard glare behind white strands of hair, and you had to hold yourself back from saluting or something. After a moment, he relaxed and sighed. "Alright, let's start."

(O/Y/N) yanked out something that looked like a tape recorder. "I'm going to record this, okay?" She set it down on the coffee table between the couches.

You gaped at her. When did she bring that? Mitsuo just nodded and began. "Well, I was about nine at the time. Your dad showed up here. How he found out about us, I don't know."

You looked over to see (O/Y/N) scribbling something down on her notepad. She nodded hurriedly. She's really getting into this, you thought. Was Tadashi someone important to her?

Mitsuo paused thoughtfully. "Anyway, he gave an assignment to the island, and I was chosen to carry it out. Your dad said he had to protect his family from someone. So he decided to move far away from that person to somewhere near our island so I could protect him. He found some lady named Mitchie or something, and got engaged to her."

"Michiko," (O/Y/N) muttered, continuing to write furiously. 

Mitsuo shrugged. "Whatever. He wanted her to take his daughter to New York in case he couldn't make it." 

The notepad and pen fell to the floor. A finger pressed the PAUSE button on the recorder, and (O/Y/N) leaped to her feet. "What?"

"What do you mean, what?" Mitsuo made a dramatic yawn.

(O/Y/N) stared at her feet in shock. "So that's why she made us move. . . I thought it was just a selfish decision. But he just wanted us to get to Mitsuo, even if he was dead." 

The talk continued, and Mitsuo told you how he waited for (O/Y/N)'s dad to return with his family so Mitsuo could keep watch over them. But a new job came. The person who assigned it was Callaghan.

Three sets of jaws fell open, and Mitsuo looked at you, confused. "What."

"N-nothing. Go on," you said.

"He said to ignore my assigned job and take his. You see, he hired the whole island to complete his job. And I was still there with my individual assignment from your dad. I didn't know which to take." He shook his head in frustration. Anyway, he stayed for a bit to see how our island worked. Since my dad was the leader and they talked a lot, I got really close to him and he taught me a bunch of stuff." Mitsuo casually sat back and threw an arm over the back of the couch. "But my dad sent me off to New York anyway to wait for (O/Y/N). Back here, my dad eventually died, and my oldest brother was supposed to be the leader. But some stronger guy popped up and stole the spot."

"Carson," (O/Y/N) said.

"Yeah. My brothers went into hiding. Anyway, I stayed undercover in New York. A few years later, you arrived and I got a notification from Carson to kill you since that was Callaghan's assignment. After all, the first job was from your dad, who was dead. He said there was no point in doing that one anymore. That's why I kept saying I would kill you, but I didn't want to." He shook his head. "I was confused. Anyway, you know the rest."

"Is that all?" Hiro asked. 

Mitsuo nodded.

Your mind immediately went to work. Something (O/Y/N) said before. . . "Do you think the person who threatened your dad was Callaghan?"

"It could be," Hiro said. "It would make sense. If he wanted Mitsuo to protect his family, then Callaghan would retaliate and stop Mitsuo by giving them another job."

"That makes a lot of sense." Mitsuo stood up. "Anyway, I'm done. Oh, and are you leaving tomorrow?"

(O/Y/N) numbly stuffed the notepad into her fanny pack. "That was the original plan."

"Then I'm coming with you," Mitsuo said. Your head shot up to the young man, and he just shrugged. "I want to find out if Callaghan's dead or not. I'll probably bring my brothers. They've always wanted to see the mainland. Is that too much too ask?"

You shook your head. "No, it's not, but we can't all fit on Baymax."

"I'll think of something," Mitsuo said, then left the room.

* * *