Chapter 1-- The First Day of School

Chapter 1

When I got there, I was surprised to see that many new faces. Most people didn't transfer as late as senior year, but people were willing to chew their butts off to get into my school. After I had collected the hideous t-shirt (which changed colors every year-- this year it was orange) that was at least two sizes too big for me, I went downstairs to change. On the way, I ran into one of my best friends, Elexia.

"Hiya girlfriend!" I gave her a one armed hug as we were both clutching the orange t-shirts.

Elexia was a warm, brown-eyed, outgoing girl, always nice to everyone, including the mean girls who hated for no reason. Sometimes she could over-react a little too much, but that wasn't much of an issue. As far as I know, there aren't any other students in my year with any other colored eyes except brown.

"How was your summer?" I asked.

"Well," she gushed. "I had a great time with my cousins in Canada..." I tuned her out and took a look around the people nearby. After a round of fending off Elexia's questions, I headed up the brick stairs towards my classroom on the second floor.

I walked inside the deathly quiet classroom confidently and sat down beside an old, shy schoolmate of mine, Janelle. We sent friendly smiles toward each other and promptly ignored each other. We were never great friends to begin with, and so the silence stretched. I watched as many other students walked in and sat down all around. Hunter, also known as the school's biggest player/asshole sauntered into the classroom and took a seat behind me, munching on a bag of chips as he walked past. I was completely spaced out when something soft and crinkly hitting the back of my head shocked me out of my thoughts.

"Hey!" I exclaimed and swiveled around in my seat to face the most annoyingly loveable asshole ever. I bent down and scooped up the thing he had thrown at me, his chip bag. "What the hell was that for?"

He smirked, a hint of amusement flickering in his eyes. "Last touch-- you're getting rid of it," eyeing the ball of trash in my hand. My face pulled into a smirk of my own.

"Last touch, huh." You wanna play that game, Hunter? I thought. I grinned and threw the bag back in his face and turned back around in my seat, ignoring him. He growled behind me, but thankfully stayed still.

"Get up and throw it away yourself," I called back, idly flipping through a textbook. A bunch of students snickered at his obvious surrender when he got up and paced towards the trash can.

Then, 6 students, 3 boys and 3 girls, walked into the classroom. The attention was immediately diverted to them, but not before a pair of oddly dazzling blue eyes caught my green ones and winked in my direction before turning back to face the front.

Those blue eyes haunted me for the rest of the morning.