Chapter 10-- Awkward...

Chapter 10:

Emerald

"Good morning, class!" Ms Lauria chirped cheerfully. "Remember, we are moving into the dorms this Wednesday,"

"Oh, gosh, I totally forgot about that!" I gasped. I planned to room with Elexia. It was going to be so much fun!

Hunter glanced over at me and sent me a small smile. I slowly inched into his direction and away from Aaron, who watched me with sad eyes.

"We are now going to distribute the room list. Please do not lose it. No extras will be given to you." Ms Lorec informed us.

The sheets of paper were handed along the rows until they reached the back. I snatched it from Keenan and sent him a grateful smile. Then, I flicked through the pile. I saw my name-- Emerald Grace and Elexia Lander: 108. Yasmine was rooming with her friend Mirabelle across the hall and Laura and Valeria were in the room beside ours, 107. Aaron and Hunter were on the floor above, 214 and 219. Samantha was rooming with Farrhan on the 3rd floor.

Just then, the bell rang. Aaron lingered by as I tucked the list into my bag and stood up.

“I’m sorry for what I said the other night, Emerald,” Aaron tried to apologize, following after me.

“Sorry doesn’t fix anything,” I snarled. I met Hunter by the classroom door and he swung his arm around me.

A flash of hurt crossed his face, then the shutters came down, all traces of emotion gone from his face. All the color drained from his cheeks and his blue eyes turned as cold as freezing chips of ice.

“Get lost, Lerr,” Hunter growled, baring his teeth. We walked away from him towards our next class.

_______

Aaron

How could I be so stupid! I slammed my fist against the wall. It only succeeded in making me angrier. I raced out of the college and into the surrounding woods, panting with each step. I finally reached a clearing and sank down against a tree, sweating and shaken.

I should never have said that to her! I mean, I actually had paid attention to her a few years back when she looked like a nerd, but because she was like that, I couldn’t afford to be seen together with her. It would have totally ruined my reputation! But now, since she looks smokin’ hot, there wouldn’t be a thing wrong. We’d be the ‘it’ couple if only she’d let it. If this were any other girl, I’d let it go. But sadly, she had gotten underneath my skin in the worst possible way. My mind replayed the kiss over and over again, reminding me of what I could have had. 

How is it that the only girl I, Aaron Lerr, the guy that every girl wanted, that every guy wanted to be, had a thing for the only taken girl in the school. It was just unfair. I leaped up and continued to run. Running was the only way I solved my problems. It let me think properly. I ran faster and faster until I was only a pale blur in the forest, barely dodging the trees and branches that loomed up above me.

And what was her deal with Hunter? Apparently, the two had been best friends before I had screwed up my chances, and I’m pretty sure they’ve gotten together since Friday. Just the thought of someone else kissing her—touching her—making her happy—makes me want slam me fist into a brick wall hard enough to send it crumbling down.

Before long, I had run along the entire circumference of Sertia Forest and came to a shuddering stop just by the school grounds. I had considered ignoring her, but talking to her was better than not speaking to her at all. I could be a great friend if I wanted to. And in this case, I really wanted to. She's never going to know what hit her. I took a deep breath and walked back into the school.

----------Lunchtime----------

I walked into the cafeteria with my hands in my pockets; backpack slung over one shoulder, the very image of casualness. I spotted Emerald on the other side of the cafeteria, surrounded by a bunch of her friends and Warrington sitting beside her, toying with her hand. My friends Finn, Jacob, Lukas and Darren waved to me over at a table by the windows, but I steadily ignored them and headed over to Emerald's table.

I strolled over to her and bent down, lips barely skimming her ear. "Can we talk?" I asked.

She shivered. I smiled at the reaction I could get out of her.

"What do you want, Lerr?" Hunter demanded angrily, looping an arm around her shoulder. I eyed it warily. Oh, how I wished I was already able to shift between wolf form and human. Then, I could bite the crap out of his cocky, feathery ass.

"I think I was talking to Emerald, Warrington," I said casually. "You don’t control her life."

"You--" He bristled. Emerald leaned over and whispered in his ear. He calmed down somewhat and took his arm off her shoulders.

Emerald stood up, hands brushing down her clothes and brushing her dark brown curls out of her eyes. Those icy emerald shards caught my eye and I froze under her stare. "Alright, Aaron. Do you want to talk or what?"

"Alone," I emphasized.

She rolled her eyes and sighed, stepping over the bench and following me out of the cafeteria. A few feet from the entrance, she stopped within a few feet of the cafeteria doors. "You wanted to talk," she said. "Go ahead. The floor is yours."

I stepped closer to her. "Emerald, I've been doing some thinking lately," I began. "What I did on Friday night-- I'm sorry for that," I said sincerely. "It was totally uncalled for, and extremely insulting. I take it back completely. You aren’t that person anymore. I also acted like a huge douchebag. I understand you want to turn over a new leaf, and forget all about before, so yeah." I trailed off. “I’m sorry. Also for getting in between you and Hunter.”

Emerald's eyes were as big as pans. "Whoa, Aaron. That was... That was really sweet of you," she said. There was a moment of silence as she took in everything I said. "I’m not going out with Hunter." She stated, shaking her head. “It was a plan to make you jealous.”

“Well, you certainly had an awesome plan, because believe me—I was feeling a little murderous there.” I laughed. “So what about a redo? Come over to my place this Sunday and I promise I won't fuck it up this time,” I offered, hope igniting in me.

Luckily, she grinned. “I hope you don’t disappoint."

I smiled from ear to ear. "Thanks Emerald," I pulled her into a hug. Letting go, I whispered into her ear, "I won’t."