Chapter 6--- The Truth

Chapter 6:

After school, I met Elexia, Laura, Valeria, Nichole and Yasmine, Elexia's friend at the school doors.

Yasmine was a pale girl with raven black hair and hazel eyes.

Nichole was a lot shorter than me, but her attitude made up for it. She had mischievous brown eyes and long lashes.

"Lex, you were in the faery class, right?" I asked.

"Yeah," she answered. "We can do magic and stuff, but that’s not really as cool as what Yasmine can do."

"I'm apparently a shape-shifter," Yasmine chipped in. "Around next month I can shift into different living things."

"Oh, gosh, I want that..." I sighed. "But," I perked up. "I get wings. That's awesome in itself already!"

Valeria spoke up. "I just can't believe that our parents didn't tell us anything about this.. I mean, this affects our whole lives in general. So why keep it from us?"

"I have no idea..." Laura mused. "Maybe its in the supernatural law or something. There has to be an explanation for not telling us..."

"Laura, always the reasonable one." I said. "Hey, do the wings mean we always have to wear things with slits in the back?"

"I dunno, let’s ask our parents." Nichole replied.

"I don't know about you guys, but when I get home I'm gonna go all ape shit on them. Seriously, it wouldn't hurt to drop some hints every once in a while." I grumbled.

"Okay, enough with the grumbling. You guys wanna go shopping now?" Yasmine suggested.

"Shopping?"

We all turned as Serena walked over.

Serena had short brown hair cut into a pixie-like bob. She was in the shape-shifter class with Yasmine and in the same top English class as me.

"Count me in." She said.

We all walked out of the school and took taxis to the nearest shopping mall.

**********

I got off the taxi when it reached my home. "Thanks girls!" I waved. "I had a great time today,"

They smiled as they drove off. I took a deep breath and opened the door to my house.

There was no one on the landing. I sighed in relief and tiptoed towards my room.

"Where have you been, young lady!" My mother yelled from the stairs as she stormed down.

"Out." I turned away from the doorknob to my room, clutching bags of new clothes.

"Do you realize what time it is?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah, its almost 6pm. Why is the time right now so important?"

"I was expecting you home hours ago! I even called Hunter to ask where you were but he didn’t know!"

"Yeah, well like you, I don't tell people everything about me." I said sarcastically.

"Oh, really?" She crossed her arms. "Pray tell."

I set down my stuff and crossed my arms. "To start with, I'm not human."

Her face paled as she realized what I meant. "I'm sorry, honey. The council forbade us to tell you just in case you wouldn't inherit the genes."

"I'm your fricking daughter, I think I deserve to know what race I am!"

"I know that, and I'm sorry, Em." When I didn't answer, she sighed, dismayed. "Look, come upstairs with me, I have to show you something."

I narrowed my eyes. "If you lock me up I'm going to kill you."

She only held out her hand in reply.

I sighed. "Lead the way."

Mom walked up the stairs. I was usually not allowed on the top floors of the house for unknown reasons, so Mom bringing me up here was really a mystery.

Mom unlocked the door to the attic and pushed it open.

"So you kept this a secret too? Great parenting Mom..." I said gazing around the huge room.

The area of the room took over the entire house, even the parts of the house that belonged to my relatives

"This is where the entire family trains."

The room had wooden floorboards and was divided into different segments. There was a section dedicated to each element, like a shallow pool for water and ice, a fireproof glass box for fire, a patch of dirt for earth, and the rest, being related to air, had the glass roof that retracted with a touch of a button.

"And yet, I never knew a place this cool was here."

"I said I was sorry, what more do you want?

"A Macbook Air." I deadpanned.

She laughed and said, "No."

"Dammit! And I was hoping to get one too..." I complained.

"What element are you?" I asked.

"Air," Mom said. "Dad's got Earth." Her wings emerged from her back, glowing a glitzy, glamorously mellow yellow. She fluttered her wings, creating gusts of wind and made it swirl around us, knocking down random objects around the room. Then, she leapt into the air. Gliding around the currents in the wind, she soared amongst the rafters. I was staring in sheer amazement.

After a while, she came back down and retracted her wings. "So, Mom, are there any supernatural bad guys I should know about?" I said casually.

"Well the supernaturals are pretty safe, except for the rogues."

I frowned. "What the heck are rogues?"

"Rogues are very dangerous supernaturals, hon. They usually start out good, but they disagree with our Supernatural Council, that’s why they went and formed their band of rogues. Stay away from them."

"Oh... okay then." I nodded. "I'll keep that in mind."

"Any other questions?" She asked.

"Do we need a dress code? Like bareback stuff? Or do we just cut slits into the back of our clothes?"

Mom shook her head. "To be honest,  using slits take practice to maneuver your wings into the right position. So I suggest bareback things for a few days, at least till you can do it yourself easily."

"Ok, I got it. Thanks Mom."

"You're welcome, kiddo."