Chapter 10 - A Familiar Face (Minecon Day 3 Part 2)

AN: Thinking about changing the cover and/or/not including the title. What do you think about the above? I'll show another cover in the next chapter :D

~~~~~

Alex and I walk to a "burger-and-fries" place across the street (not Five Guys) for lunch. Once we have our food (Alex insisted on paying, of course) we walk to a nearby mini park and sit down on a bench.  After talking about work for a while, I decide to find out what Ross told Alex. "So what did Ross really talk to you about this morning?" I ask, acting nonchalant.

To my surprise, Alex laughs. "Was it that obvious I was lying?"

I chuckle a bit. "I can usually tell if people lie. It's kind of my thing."

"Sure... How is that?"

"You're changing the subject!"

Alex sighs. "You really want to know?"

I nod.

He sighs again. "He told me about your ex."

I grimace. "T-Thomas? Why?!" I was a little upset with Ross for telling Alex about that. I had hoped I would never have anything to do with that man for the rest of my life. I am aware, however, that if Alex and I end up having an actual relationship, it would eventually come out, Ross or no Ross.

"To make sure I wouldn't do anything, I guess. I'm sorry, I-"

"No, don't apologize." I let out a breath I hadn't realized I was holding. "It's not your fault. How much did he tell you?"

"Just that he... cheated on you, I think. I'm actually a bit confused, he seemed to be leaving out a lot. I don't mean to pry, I just-"

I hold up a hand to stop him. "It's fine. Do you want to hear the whole thing?"

"Only if you're ok with it. You don't-"

I stop him again. "It should have been me to tell you about him in the first place, anyway, not Ross." I think for a few seconds, listing the pros and cons of telling Alex about him. Do I really want him knowing about him just yet? "On second thought, I don't really think this is a first date kind of thing. I think we should wait a month or two in case this," I motion to the two of us, "doesn't... work out."

Alex seems to think for a while, then nods. "I understand."

I sigh, then smile. "Thanks. So where are we going next?" I ask, throwing away my trash.

"You'll see." He grins, and takes my hand again, walking back towards the street.

After a short walk, we arrive at the Hollywood/Highland Metro Station. Alex gets a little confused with the maps, so we get a bit delayed. The subway wasn't arriving until ten minutes later, so we decide to talk for a bit.

"You excited for Minecon?" Alex asks.

"Yeah! I saw the stage, it's huge."

"Who's going to be there?"

We talk about Minecon until our subway arrives. It's packed, so we both have to stand up. We try to continue our conversation, but people kept glaring at us, so we stop talking. Personally, I think subways are the worst and the most awkward thing ever. Everybody's kind of just staring at the ground, trying not to make eye contact, so it's quiet as hell. Plus, for smaller, weaker people like me, there's always the danger of falling forwards when the car jerks to a stop. This one time, before the car stopped, I placed my feet vertically and shifted all of my weight to the foot behind me in an attempt to stop me from falling backwards, but apparently, physics hates me, so instead I fell forwards on top of this old lady.Oops.

When the subway ride finally ends, Alex and I take a few buses to this grassy, park-y area. When we get off, I find myself in front of the Griffith Observatory. I gasp. It's amazing. I turn around, and I swear, I could see the whole city from up here.

"Alex, this is amazing!" I exclaim.

He beams, then leads me inside the observatory. We walk around for a while, looking at all the exhibits and through telescopes (though we couldn't see much with them, it being early afternoon). Who knew you could see other planets from Earth?

After that, we take another subway and walk a few blocks to the Walt Disney Concert Hall.

"Hey, I thought you had a thing against classical?" I tease Alex.

"It's ok, I guess. Some of it. Anyway, I'm only here 'cause of you. I thought you'd like it." He shrugs.

"Well, I do. It's huge! Can you hear the Philharmonic playing? Beautiful."

"What song is that? Elevator music?" He smirks.

"Shut up! It's Bach. Wait, I think they played this song in If I Stay. F***ing hell, that was such a sad book. And movie, I guess."

"You want to stick around outside and listen before going in?" Alex asks.

I nod, and we sit on a bench to listen to the music. A few tears slip down my cheek as I remember that depressing story, and Alex laughs at me. After the show ends, and everyone files out, we walk inside.

The concert area is unlike anything I have ever seen before. The orchestra area is surrounded on all sides by row after row of seats, and there are countless terraces to watch performances on. And holy f***ing hell, is that the f***ing organ?! The pipes of the organ are jutting out of the center of the far wall, making them look like stalagmites, reminding me of the "stalacpipe" organ in Virginia, except more modern. It takes me several minutes to take in the vastness of the hall. Once I'm composed, Alex and I sit down.

"You know, it was once my dream to play here. Carnegie Hall, too." I say, reminiscing.

"Really?" Alex seems surprised. "What happened?"

I sigh. "Well, it was actually going pretty well with the piano and the violin. I even got a scholarship at Julliard."

"So what happened?"

"Well, it just seemed so far from home, and Thomas convinced me not to go."

"So you probably would've gone if he hadn't told you to stay, yeah?"

I think for a second. "No, I don't think so. America just seemed so foreign to me back then, and I didn't know a soul there. Plus, all my friends were here, and I wasn't sure Ross could survive without me." I laugh.

"Do you regret it at all? Not going, I mean."

"Not much... Actually, no, not at all. If I had gone to Julliard, yeah, I'd be playing Carnegie Hall, but I wouldn't have met all the great people in the Yogscast, and I probably wouldn't have had time to settle down anywhere. I'd never even have a chance to make any real friends. I'm happier this way."

Alex nods. "Plus, if you left, I wouldn't have met you." He puts his arm around my shoulder.

"You know, that sounds cheesy as hell." We both laugh.

After a while, Alex gets hungry, so we decide to go get some dinner. We take the subway back into the main part of LA to look for a good place to eat. Eventually, we settle on some take-out Chinese place.

"What do you want?" Alex asks me.

"Just get me the vegetable lo mein."

"I got it. Wait here, ok?"

I nod, then sit in one of the chairs to wait. I look around the restaurant, absent-mindedly scanning the faces.

My eyes land upon a familiar face, but one that I wished I would never have to look at again. I gasp as he turns and catches my gaze, and then I was sure.

Thomas.

~~~~~

AN: OMG you guys. 300 views. :O. Lol, I know it doesn't sound like a lot but it is to me xD. I never even thought I would get past 100! Tysm ppl :D

Sorry if the grammar's a bit shaky on this one, when I finished I realized I wrote the whole damn thing in past-tense and had to go back and fix everything.