Chapter 29 - Work

Song: Fidelity by Jasmine Thompson (Cover)

~~~~~

I woke up the next morning groggy as hell. Last night, after Alex walked me home, I woke up after only an hour. Finding I couldn't go back to sleep, I got up and worked on the computer. I guess I fell asleep on the keyboard somewhere along the way. Sitting up and wiping the drool off my face, I checked the time on my phone.

S***.

It was already 11:00pm. I was 3 hours late. Not just that, I had a thousand messages and missed calls from the Hats. What the hell happened? Skimming over some of them, I got the gist. Basically,

Where are you? You're not at work.

Are you ok?

Loud sounds in your direction. Wyd?????

CPU overheated. We got a fire here. 

Jk. Just trying to reach ya.

??????!!!!!!!

Ross went in ur apt and u weren't there?!

R u dead?

We're coming.

The timestamp on that one was 10:58. They'd be here in about 5 minutes.

Ugh, 5 minutes. I put my head down.

5 minutes?! I shot up. 5 minutes. Scratch that, 4.

The doorbell rang. 

"OH!" I had just remembered. Today was a day off. My phone rang. Answering it, I ran to the door and opened it.

"What-" 

I shushed the guys and ushered them inside. "Hello?" I spoke into the phone.

"El, it's Hannah. Sorry, did I wake you up?"

"No, it's fine. Did you need something?"

"Yeah, Lewis said we need to postpone the Iceland trip to next spring."

"Uh..." I checked the date. It was nearly October. "What about Halloween?" 

"He says he thought of something better. Can you still cancel everything?"

"Yeah, no problem. What is this thing?"

"Scavenger hunt at midnight in costumes."

"Ah, s***."

Hannah laughs. "Anyway, could you cancel everything today? Lewis is calling a meeting tomorrow and we have to be ready."

"Sure. Call Anya as well, she'll need to get the message out."

"Alright. Let me know if you need any help."

"Sure thing." After hanging up, I sighed. More work. Yay. I turned to Ross and the others. "Hey, sorry guys, I was asleep."

Alex laughed. "Ross, I thought you said she wasn't here!"

"I checked, she wasn't!"

"Oh, I was in the office. The door may have been locked."

"I thought that was a closet."

I laughed before pushing them back towards the door. "Alright, I'm alive. Now get out, I have work to do."

"What about lunch?" Alex asked.

"I'll figure something out."

"I'll bring something over." He grinned.